1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 107D Can't be detected in WinXP

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bLund3r, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bLund3r

bLund3r Member

Hi,

Anybody can help explaiin why my Pioneer 107D writer can't be detected in Win XP?
    it is showing as TIONEEV DVD-VW$ DVV-507D

Can anybody help please

Thanks

2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

First up, have you tried updating the firmware on this drive previously? If so, try reverting it to the previous version. I seem to recall something like that happening when a flashing didn't work quite right for me. Otherwise, check to see that all of your master/slave jumpers are correct (I imagine that they are though if you are getting anything to show up), and try using a different power connector in your box. I've found that if using a small power supply, there can be issues with which power connector you use if everything is attached to the one backbone.

Finally, all else failing, you could attempt flashing it if you haven't previously, or go into your system settings and manually delete the drive. It should be re-detected upon rebooting, and with a little luck might fix the problem. Hope something here helps.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am assuming your burner is an internal type.

Most errors that occur similar to yours (weird characters etc), is due to a bad connection on the IDE cable.

Either it is not connected fully, reversed, misplaced pins not in the connector or even just a knackered IDE cable.

The easiest way to tell, is to look in your BIOS, if the characters are all jumbled up, then it will be a bad IDE cable or connection.

XP takes the information in the BIOS and displays it, so it is basically displaying what the BIOS is reporting, therefore it is occuring at power up and not XP.......

Check your IDE connections, I am sure you will find that being the culprit........................
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  4. bLund3r

bLund3r Member

Thanks you guys for your suggestion I took baabaa's suggestion's first to tacke the internal Drive not being able to be detected.

Its true that the IDE connector might be faulty, and i manage it get it working....only for 5 minutes...

alas after i restarted the computer it works only for 5 minutes and later on it kinda revert back to the same error that i am getting...hence i can't even try reverting it to the old firmware....

would it be possible that during all this time the faulty cable would have damaged the drive itself?? hence leaving it unusable even if the IDE connector is changed to a new one??

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Not really.

The data is just read by the BIOS, I have never come across a drive that is transmitting corrupted drive name/model information due to it failing.
    That does not mean of course, that your drive is not failing.

The only part of a drive that I have seen fail (similar to yours) is that the BIOS cannot detect it full stop - this is usually attributed to a popped resistor on the circuit board within...............

Cheapest route is to purchase a replacement IDE cable, I am sure this will cure it...................