1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 108 Installation (Very Strange)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Spyder27, Aug 13, 2004.

1. regs4

regs4 Member

The DVR-108 burns great with Nero but I'm having issues with the sound on the CD

2. gameover

gameover Guest

Just got the pioneer 108, installed drive + firmware and works perfectly. Latest firmware is 1.10 from the pioneer website.
    http://pioneer.co.uk/uk/support_software.jsp?category=support/software#fdvdwriter

If you have trouble detecting drive make sure you have set the master/slave switch correctly dufus's! Its located at the back of the drive and has letter MA-master + SL-slave. 2 pins should be covered vertically on wanted selection.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

3. regs4

regs4 Member

I got cd sound when I changed DMA to PIO but then DVD sound was screwed up. Firmware Problem I bet.

4. CMaire

CMaire Member

I have many problems with my 108 ... I ve been able to install the Firmware 1.06 but when I try to install 1.1 it keeps saying "available target is not found" ...
    When I try to watch a DVD I can see the movie, I can hear the sounds of the menus but when the sound disappear when it is the movie itself. I tried with 2 different DVD and I have the same problem on both.
    I m really frustrated !

5. regs4

regs4 Member

I'm getting a replacement this week and I'll be running Win DVD 6 Platinum. We'll see.

6. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

still getting a "update program terminated by occuring error" anyone know how to fix this? please help.

Thanks

7. CMaire

CMaire Member

ok my sound problem has disappeared once I installed WinDVD 6 Platinum .... but I still haven t found a way to flash the 1.10 firmware. still the same error msg

8. Khrondor

Khrondor Member

Call Pioneer Tech Support, they will tell u how to install the firmware in DOS. U need 2 1.44 meg disks one to boot to a dos prompt and the other with the files. Make sure your Bios recognizes the Burner, You might have to have the controlled on the mother board control it, while you up grade. Instead of a scsi controlled. Basically u arent using windows at all.

Give them a call I had the same problem and they ran me through the steps I just mentioned.

One last thing they recomend Ulead DVD Movie Factor 3 for software for Dual layer burning. It comes with the software package version of the drive. DVR-A08XL I think is the model. They told me they have been using it a while with Verbatim disks and they have no problems. They wouldnt comment on the newest version of Nero!!!! I have used Nero, Alcohol, Dvd Decrypter, Copy toDVD, on single layer with no problems at all. I do find the Alcohol 120% burns the fastest for my computer set up.

I know how u feel I almost returned the damn thing myself til the Tech Support helped me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  9. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

I found on the Pioneer site that you cannot update the firmware using the dvr 108 externally. they recommend you installing it via ide cable in a desktop setup and updating it that way. I will post an update when I successfuly complete this.

10. CMaire

CMaire Member

Mine is internal and it doesn't work ... I wonder if it could because of the fact I have 2 HD and it is lost. Yet the weird thing is that it did work with the 1.06 update.. I suppose I'll have to call pioneer for them to help me

11. regs4

regs4 Member

I flashed the drive to 1.10 and wound up with region issues. The drive records perf in standard and Dual layer, in fact. Dual layer records at 4X. CD playback has no sound but DVD playback appears flawless. They've got another firmware update to do.

12. regs4

regs4 Member

Installed the replacement and upgraded firmware. Records perf in all formats. No CD sound and DVD Playback may or may not work. Region issues. I feel another firmware coming on.

13. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

it also mentioned that it should not be daisy chained while the firmware is being updated. hope that helps.

14. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

problem fixed with new USB2 case. I just dumped my old firewire sony case. I got the firmware to update and I've burning stuff ever since. Good luck to all y'all!

15. regs4

regs4 Member

XP Service Pack 2 is SATAN!

16. wtp

wtp Member

I first tried firming from the Pioneer-USA site here
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4249_138551420,00.html

using file: 138551417DVR108_FW110

kept getting error message, can't find device.

then I stumbled upon the Pioneer-Australia site here
    http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdwriters/dvr10
    8/support/firmware.html

and used this file DVR108_FW110EU.zip

worked first time. checked device manager/properties and shows drive with 1.10

still getting strangeness as described by other 108 owners. Can't see drive in Windows Explorer, won't let me mount a blank DVD.

17. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I have been using Ulead DVD movie factory to convert avi's to dvd to free up some HD space.

Problem is that my Ritek DVD-R media keeps showing as only 4.4GB not 4.7 is this a drive thing or software?

18. CMaire

CMaire Member

thanks a lot wtp it worked #1 with the australian link you gave !!! wooo ooohh !

19. wtp

wtp Member

Cmaire:

glad to hear it. now try the Pioneer Japan site and firm up to 1.14. I don't have link handy but it also worked first time for me.

20. CMaire

CMaire Member