1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 108 only burns 4x on 8x verbatim

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by projem, Feb 13, 2005.

1. projem

projem Member

I have a external 108 connected to USB 2

1900 amd, 1 gb ram, shrink & nero 6 (full)

8x verbatim burns at 4x but nero 6 recognises and shows all the stats that its burning at 12x. Time remaining climbs to the 6 mins (used to 18 mins with 4x discs)but then keeps on climbing to the 18 mins)

Wheres my bottleneck, thanks

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i've used my sony dru700a externally vis usb2 without problem, (8x using 8x media), BUT even now burner is connected internally, don't trust burning films at 8x. and thats using verbatim media. It seems most peepl on this forum, and elsewhere, seem to stick to 4x. At 15mins for each 4GB of film data (at 4x) there's just no need for any more speed. Wasn't so long back i had an 8x CD Burner which took ages to burn a CD. Now i use my usb2 enclosure for ripping the movies, with a CD Burner. Ripping takes only 15mins which is great too

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

oops forgot the obvious, check firmware, not sure if you need a nero update. I used to have this prob, where 8x media stated 15mins, but time would keep rising. This was on crappy 8x bulkpaq media, but dont think for a moment that your verbatim is crappy/or the problem in itself. i found also that my usb2 drivers weren't fully installed. You can easily manage up to and above 8MB/sec on usb2 externally btw, well i do ripping dvd's, depending on quality of dvd's that i'm ripping at time

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What other programs are you using, DVD Shrink, etc. and what are they set at?

5. projem

projem Member

Thanks guys, Ill check a few things and come back
    Shrinks always been ok with 4x, are there settings in shrink i should change? Thanks guys