1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer A05/105 and media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by AlexC, Feb 22, 2003.

1. AlexC

AlexC Guest

Further to my recent post regarding the 105 and various media I have now completed extensive tests of four types of media.

Test 1 involved creating an iso image of a dvd with dvdDecrypter. This image was then burnt using both InstantDisc and dvdDecrypter to the following media:

Ritek G04 4x
    Verbatim dvd-rw 1x
    Datasafe 2x
    Datawrite "yellow" 1x

In each case the Ritek and Verbatim discs were burnt perfectly and both the Datasafe and Datawrite discs failed. I even tried to burn the Datasafe at 1x but this also failed.

Test 2 involved ripping a dvd using the file mode of dvdDecrypter and burning using both Nero 5.5.10.7b and InstantDisc. I had exactly the same results as the previous test.

Therefore I can only conclude that either the cheaper media is faulty and should be returned to the supplier or the 105 does not like the cheaper media and should maybe be returned to the supplier!!

In any case the Ritek 4x media is not that expensive in the UK, I've just bought some for £1.89 ea which is a damn sight cheaper than a whole load of failed discs.

What really irks me is that I have spent around £50 on the cheaper media (which was sold by the retailer as being compatible with the 105). If it was made clear that it does not work with the Pioneer then I would have been happier buying the dearer discs.

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

AlexC,

Checkout www.lynxdv.com

Their own brand is Ritek made (Grade A) at about £1.69 per disc (plus P&P)

I use a pioneer A104 drive (only X2) and have used both Datasafe and Datawrite with complete success (as far as burn goes that is)

Had a few "playback" problems mind you.

When you say "disc failed" do you get an error message of some sort, or find the failure, when you playback too ??

As for burning, I use to use Nero (5.5.9.0) and thought it was the business, until I tried to playback on my PS2. While it recognised the disc, it would not play it.

So I made an Image, and burned with Ulead DVD Movie Factory.

No problems since, so, it was the media, it was the burning software.

Just a few thoughts.

HomerJ