1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer A05 drivers needed for XP?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by karatone, Jun 6, 2003.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I'm running XP and I've installed my drive in an external usb 2.0 case,XP id's the drive ,and my dvd-r is being seen with all my other drives,and down below in a section of my computer that is specified as others:there is a "H" drive with a big red question mark over it ,a buddy of mine said I may need the drivers for the drive as I haven't installed anything for the dvd-r drive or the 2.0 usb ext. case,any advide would be helful, thanks

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

What does it say in Device Manager for that drive?

3. karatone

karatone Regular member

stupid me, I didn't check that yet,I was just suprised to see a big red question mark under the mystery "h" drive,I'd never seen this before,I've only seen the yellow slash marks ,I'll check the manager later when I get home,I'll post my findings , so far the drive is seen in DVD dycrypter ,but when i try to set it to read the ISO it doesn't do a thing,thanks

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Hey, no problem. I sometimes miss the simple things too.

I just checked Pioneer's website and it doesn't list special drivers for that drive. Let us know what happens.

5. karatone

karatone Regular member

This is my first usb 2.0 device,and when i installed the dvd-r in the external case that adapts it to usb 2.0 I left the jumper set at master,I'm new here and I've seen talk of aspi layers that are needed and upgraded firmware for Pioneer drives, i went to the Pioneer site and did a check of my firmware and the test said I already have the current version,I didn't seeanything about XP drivers. My goal is to be able to back-up my dvd collecton and also put my home digital movies on dvd media,PS2 games and all the other things would be a plus,I downloaded dvd decrypter and I have Nero express loaded,but I also have Nero Vision on CD ,but I'm not sure what the difference is,I'm aware I may need more,any advice on software would be great. but as far just getting this drive to do something would be great, thanks Ken!

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Myself, I use the following to backup my discs:

DVDdecrypter to rip
    DVD2one to shrink it down
    Stomp RecordNow to burn

I've done 50 or 60 in the last couple of weeks using this method. (A buddy is going to Europe for a few months and doesn't want to take his originals with him.)

Tonight when I get home I'll be trying out the new version of DVDShrink. Looks pretty slick. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/37103

DVDShrink does the job of the first two programs in one step.

7. karatone

karatone Regular member

Looks as though I have a lot to learn here,a buddy(or should I say buddy?) wants to charge me $65 to school me on the dvd-r copy process,he's always out to make a buck off of anyone he can . I'll keep my eye out for your results with the new program, thanks

8. karatone

karatone Regular member

I checked the device manager and everything looked normal ,no yellow marks anywhere,I think i figured out what the red ? was, my digital/web camera was unplugged.Today I installed Intervideo's WinDVD to see if I could get the drive to play a store bought DVD,but no luck ,I can't get this drive to do the most basic tasks at this time.I'm thinking about going back into the external case and changing the jumper setting on the drive to slave instead of Master as I had left it from the factory,any advice from anyone out there who has used external cases would also be helpful,I feel that once I can get this drive to at least play a movie,meaning it's reading, it should be able to dycrypt using the DVD decrypter (I hope at least)any ideas Ken? thanks again