1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVD Writer/Reader questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by e3e4520, Dec 2, 2002.

1. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I am new to PS2 copying. Right now I have a Pioneer DVD-305S and have been using it to copy PS1 games for a while. I have a Plextor 1210s CDRW. However the Pioneer unit apparently can't do digital audio extraction very well as some games that I copied have no music or just plain noise. Does anyone else have this problem? I usually just use my CDR to burn image files and burm them into disks.

Also, I am leaning toward getting a DVD Writer so I can backup PS2 games. The Pioneer DVR-A05 is attractive but I'm afraid of the same old problem. Any recommendation for a good DVD writer to backup PS2 games?

Also, should I keep the old 305S reader? Will the old digital audio extraction problem exist with PS2 games?

Thank you guys in advance in helping a newbie out.

Mark

2. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

By the way, I am running Windows XP, Asus CUV4X board with Pentium III 650. Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adaptor.

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Once again (because this one has been asked about a 1000 times). But okee its almost christmas:
    There are 2 kinds of PS2 games:
    1. Compact Disc based games
    2. DVD-rom based games
    You can find it at the back of the case of a game (it says CD or DVD). You also can look if the CD is purple or white at the back. (Purple is CD and white is DVD)
    1. CD based games you can copy them with a regular CD-writer on regular CD-r. Copy them with CloneCd 4 in combination with ClonyXl (download by search).
    2. DVD based games you have to copy them with a DVD-writer on DVD-r/-rw or DVD+r/+rw.
    I copy these games with Nero 5.5.9.17. on DVD+r and also on DVD+rw. No problems sofar.
    Other people talk about and use Primo Prassi to copy DVD-games.

I always burn my copies on the fly (1:1) so no Imagefile on HD.

So the question is what modchip do you have in yoyr PS2. If you have a messiah chip (like i do) you can start everything from CD-r/DVD-r/+r/+rw to EA sport (protected) games.

I have:
    PS2 30004R v5
    Messiah chip (to boot CD and DVD backups)
    HP DVD+r/+rw 200i
    WinXP
    LG DVD player
    Pentium 4 2.0Gigahertz

The messiah rules ..

4. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply but I don't think you're answering my question...I already understand the difference of CD/DVD and backup questions.

I'm asking about the Pioneer DVD drives, about the problem of digital audio extraction. I had problems with it backing up PS1 games, I am wondering if anyone has the same experience with me, and if there is any way to fix it.

Hopefully someone can answer my doubt, thanks in advance.

Mark

5. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

By the way I have the latest Magic 3 chip, I'd say it's not really stable. I've never used the Messiah so I can't compare...

6. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

No probs at all.
    Sorry that question i can't answer (about the Pioneer). I have a HP DVD writer.
    So wait for someone else to answer this one.

The messiah rules ..

7. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

Regarding the Pioneer DVD writers, I recommend sticking with / getting the A04 and not the new A05. I have heard of several problems with making back-ups with the A05. That's what I have read up to now anyway.
    -TripleX

8. Smartman1

Smartman1 Guest

Wizkid, what did u mean when u said CloneCd 4 in combination with ClonyXl. How do u combine them both, or can u just use clone cd 4 without clonyx1?

9. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

What you do is scan your CD with ClonyXXL and then Clony constructs the settings necessary to make a copy. Clony gives you a link to open Clone CD with the settings it constucted. You click that link and then you make the actual copy using Clone CD with the settings constructed by Clony.
    -TripleX

10. archieq

archieq Guest

Why do you have to use to 2 applications to make a backup of cd games? I have used Nero for CD and DVD based games to backup with no problems whether on the fly or image method. I have also used CDRWIN and Easy CD Creator in the past for CD backups with no problems except that I had to set the write speed to 2x.

11. TripleX

TripleX Regular member

All clony does, is scan the CD for burn proofs. And you don't HAVE to use 2 programs, but say if you were backing up an EA game on a CD, then it would be recommended you use Clony to help you set the correct settings for Clone CD because if you don't, then either the game wont copy at all, or it will not run. That's what you use it for.
    -TripleX

12. Smartman1

Smartman1 Guest

I have a ps2 model SCPH-35001. Does that mean i have a v5, v6, or v7? THanks

13. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I think I've found out what's wrong with the digital audio extraction problem, seems the older batch of Pioneer readers have problem extracting digital audio at high speed...

By the way, TripleX, you said that the new Pioneer A05 have problems with backups? Cause I'm just about on my way to get one, now I'm getting suspicious...

What DVD-Writers do you guys use? Also, are Verbatim medias any good? I know they make good CDRs...

Mark

14. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I have an A04 with the Firmware 1.31 2x4all which allows me to use inexpensive unbranded 1x media (really Princo) at 2x. I did not go with the A05 becuase of the price and the price of the 4x media. I can get 50 DVD-R's for $45 at the computer show and 100 DVD-R's for $72 online (not sure what company makes those). Whereas 4x media prices are insane and just to save 15 minutes, I think I'll wait till the newer burners/media comes out? But it is up to you to make that decision.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  15. RobWizkid

RobWizkid Member

I (originally Wizkid) have a HP DVD+r/+rw 200 i and it copies fine .. 2x speed with Nero i burn my copies in about 15 to 20 minutes on the fly.
    Using:
    HP DVD+r and +rw
    Verbatim DVD+r
    Platinum DVD+r and +rw

I now stick to the Platinum because they are the cheapest DVD+r Euro 2.25 and +rw Euro 4.00