1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-106D & DVR-108 Drives - Firmware

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by lauzzie, Feb 1, 2005.

1. lauzzie

lauzzie Guest

I wonder if someone could give me a little bit of info. I have two dvd drives. Both are Pioneer. One is DVR-106D and the other DVR-108. I have been reading alot about firmware and wonder how important it is to update your firmware? The thing i need explained to me is - what exactly is firmware and what does it do. Any info would be appreciated as i would like to understand the function of firmware. Thanks in advance.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Firmware is a small set of instructions(or small program) That gets written to a chip in the hardware(like a burner drive). These are special instruction telling it how to do certain tasks and are only changed if you update or flash the firmware again. Updates are important only if you have burning issues or the drive isn't working right. There are OEM firmware usually updated by the manufacturer and also hacked firmware that usually has some extra improvements over the OEM firmware. Be advised that installing firmware wrong could kill you drive. Here is a site link that deals mostly with firmware. Do some reading there for better insite to firmware.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry