1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR 108

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by penlan, Jan 22, 2005.

1. penlan

penlan Member

I have just acquired a Pioneer 108 and am having a lot of grief. First of all it wouldn't read any data CDs or DVDs and wouldn't play music CDs or movie DVDs. I sent the thing back and the replacement suffered from exactly the same problems. It also wouldn't execute and CD based software and wouldn't autorun. I eventually got it working by disconnecting the slave device, which was a Zip drive.

However, I still have a problem, I only get sound from CDs. If I play a DVD, I get the pictures but no sound. PLEASE! (before I go mad) does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong?

2. kdob

kdob Member

First I would have to ask your specs. Second I have the Pioneer and it works like a charm for me. Only thing I can think of to help you is buying an Antec 40 pin 80 wire cable. I had my old 40 pin 40 wire cable hooked to it and couldn't run full speed as far as burning and such. That antec brought the best out for me. Also make sure you have updated your firmware.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  3. blakebora

blakebora Guest

I have the drive as well: works fine. Since you had a 2nd drive do this, it's your config, I guess. Check this, before you buy the cable: are the pins on the back of the unit set to slave or master? Put it to master. is it hooked up to IDE 2? It should be. Is it the last unit on the cable? It should be. Is there another unit on the same cable? put its pins to slave.
    As for firmware, the factory firmware 1.06 is fine, but follow pioneer's website advice on which media to buy cos each firmware flash is a risk: if it burns at 8X with Verbatim DVD -R, for example, be happy and leave the firmware alone.
    When you boot, go into the bios, and force a recognition of the drive. Usually you'll see "auto", so hit enter, it'll give you a bunch of options, select auto, and when you hit enter again the drive's name shows in the bios.
    If all this is true for you, and the drive is recognized in the bios and it still won't read properly, look to the software you are using, or even your operating system having a problem.
    blake

4. penlan

penlan Member

Thanks for the replies.
    The OS is Windoze XP Pro + SP2. I tried an experiment. I replaced the C drive with a blank HDD and installed XP HE, my previous OS. I was able to hear DVD sound. So the culprit looks as if it is XP Pro. I have checked out the device manger and all looks ok; no bad entries, no address or interrupt conflicts. I also reinstalled the mobo drivers, but no banana. I don't want to risk reinstalling XP since it eats up the stupid count MS has introduced.