1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR 109 - Burn starts but HUGE wait time

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Timbot421, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Timbot421

Timbot421 Member

Hi to everyone!

I am new to burning and am currently encountering some serious trouble. I will include a listing of my specs at the bottom of this post.

I bought a DVR 109 and hooked it up to my computer using a Creative I/O 5.25 Enclosure. The enclosure uses USB 2.0 hookup. When I turn on my computer, it recognizes the burner as the F drive. My other two drives are a 16X DVD-ROM drive and 48X CD-RW (on board)

I downloaded DVD Shrink 3.2 and I don't seem to have any problems re-authoring or getting to the encoding stage. It usually takes me about 15 minutes. I place the DVD I want to back-up in the DVD-ROM drive.

Initially, I installed Nero OEM Suite to backup my DVDs at the encoding stage. I selected the "Burn with Nero" option. When the program opens the "Burning" window, the file caching starts and finishes and the burn process starts at 8X. The bottom of the menu writes the "Lead-In" and "Tracks" but THEN THE PROBLEMS START. My burner gets to 1% burnt and doesn't go any further. I have sat for 20 minutes waiting before I decide to abort. The disk is a coaster because it's given the name I have assigned it, but practically nothing has been burnt to it.

I uninstalled Nero and tried using DVD Shrink instead with DVD Decrypter to burn. I was also able to encode and burning would start. However, the log on Decrypter would alternate between an unknown burn time and 8+ hours while burning at a tiny rate. I also give up on this after 20 minutes.

I haven't installed any firmware on my computer. When I bought the DVR 109, I was told I could start burning once I had set-up the enclosure and attached it to a USB 2.0. I haven't altered the DMA settings and I haven't touched my Chip Drivers.

I have been using Smartbuy DVD-R 8X media. Thinking it might be the media, I tried using the DVR 109 to burn a CD instead. I use Memorex 52X CD-R and I have not had any problems with my on-board burning software (Sonic Recordnow 7.3 - it burns in 3 minutes.) The burner was recognized by my computer, but when I tried to burn using it instead of my CD-RW, the burn time was estimated at 76 minutes.

There's something I am missing and I can't figure out what it is. Is it the enclosure? Have I not enabled something? Should I be using firmware or is my burner screwed?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

Timbot

Dell Dimension 3000
    Celeron 2.66
    512 MB Ram
    Windows XP SP2

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Smartbuy -8x?

This would be the first place to start out on you troubleshooting issues. Media quality is critical. You are getting the burn errors right off the bat,so a firmware update may be needed. Even on poor quality media,that update may not guarantee results.

Slow down that burn speed,especially on poor/generic quality of media.

Try a small pack of maxell -4x or -8x media. Their dash format media is very reliable and made by some great manufacturers like ty,ritek,and maxell. It's a very safe media,especially for newbs. Keep that burn speed at 4x.

Your sonic and nero software may be clashing. Try un-installing sonic and use nero tools to completely remove nero.

Go through device manager and un-install your drives,and reboot.

Also un-install your ide controllers,reboot, and your pc should automatically put them back to dma mode if available. It may be in pio mode.

After that, load your oem version of nero -don't load the "IN-CD" if it is on your nero disc,this will cause problems. Check your settings and see if you can burn ok.

Nero and shrink do 95% of my backups. I also love it's cd burning program. I just got the plain oem 6.0.0.23b and it works great.

Just a few things to start with. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Timbot421,

saugmon I think meant reload your oem version of nero instead of dvd shrink (correct me if I'm wrong).

Why don't you install the DVD 109 in place of your cdrw as your dvdrw will do everything the cdrw will do?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mort, Nero is what I meant,i will edit. About replacing that memorex cd-rw drive with that pioneer would also be a good Idea.

5. Timbot421

Timbot421 Member

I suppose I could try to install it internally.

I guess I am curious as to why it cannot run as a third drive on its own. I had wanted to use it as a dedicated DVD burner only.

Why would Sonic - which doesn't have a DVD burning program on it - clash with Nero when I am trying to use it for DVD burning purposes?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It would be a very good idea to install the DVD RW internally in your PC. If you must then put the CD RW in your enclosure. Don't ask why but a lot of those CD/DVD burning programs dont like each other and conflict, and you dont need two anyway. So you need to get to the bare minummum until you can figure out where the problem lies. You could also try loading an ASPI layer if your problems continue. You can download the newest version here http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe
    I also want to stress again the important's of good media. Don't slouch in that department if you want quality back up's.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hey saugmon,

I thought so but ya never know maybe you knew something I hadn't heard of yet. Gotta keep ya lined out he he.

8. Timbot421

Timbot421 Member

Thanks for your help so far. I will try these methods tonight, along with any others suggested by other users today.

I had hoped not to mess with my computers' internal structure yet, but I will do it if I have to.

For my comprehension, why is it that using an enclosure could result in problems that might not occur if the burner is internally installed? (As easily as that question can be answered :)

Timbot421

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well the easy answere would be the data transfer between the different system bus's. The IDE connection for internal writer is ushually fst and reliable. Where USB 2.0 or Firewire are also very fast, but if the controllers for those type's of system bus are not installed correctly (drivers) then your burner isn't going to transfer data very reliable. Now I am in no way saying that external burners don't work because some people have very good results with them, but if just do a search on AD you will see a lot of people have problems with external burner's. Everything on your system needs to be set up just right for the external writers to work at there maximum potential.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Timbot421,

Installing or replacing an internal optical drive is a very easy process. The only thing to watch for is that the jumper on the back is set the same as the drive you are replacing (master or slave). Cable select will work for either but if you know the destination of the drive (master or slave) it's better to choose it. Ideally your dvdrw will be master and the dvd-rom slave.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is not true unless your computer is older like 4 years or more. To use cable select you need a special cable, and these are of course non-standard, making them a special purchase. Also, many people don't understand cable select, nor do they realize it needs a special cable. If you set both drives to "CS" and then use them on a regular (non-cable-select) IDE cable, both drives will configure themselves as "master", causing a configuration conflict.
    In other words cable select is old school and older computers came with IDE cables which support the CS function, but most computers now a days come with a 80 wire cabe which has a blue, gray, and black connector or a cable that is not CS compatable. I am not sure why they don't put those cables in computers anymore probablly to save .02c or so.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks bb for the clarification. I stand corrected. I personally have never used the cable select setting but was given that info from a buddy. Guess I should research such info prior to passing it on to others.

One other thing, shut down your pc prior to removing the case cover and it's also a good idea to unplug it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem :)

yeah turning the power off would be a good idea, but if you didnt know that then maybe you shouldn't be putting a drive in your PC to begin with :) LOL

14. mlvideo

mlvideo Member

We have used external enclosures for DVD drives and have found some IO problems with USB-2, taking 2 or more hours to burn to a DVD. Our enclosure also supported the IEEE 1394 firewire format so we switched to that and the burns now go at 8x (the max for our drive) We found a web site that expalined the situation, I will try to find it again and send you a link. BUT, installing the drive internally is ALWAYS the best solution. I have bothe the NEC 3510A and the Pioneer 108, both drives are awsome, the NEC is on average $10 cheaper.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would have to choose the NEC as it is capable of booktyping to dvd-rom.

Timbot to save you further headaches in the future, I recommend switching to some good, high quality, proven media. For vidio reproduction you need a media with an even azo dye layor. About any media will work for data files. The best is Taiyo Yuden and Verbatum Datalife Plus. Some other good ones are Maxell, branded Ritek Ridata, Ricohjpn, and usually Sony and TDK. Stay away from memorex, generic, and retail store brand name eg: staples, comp usa dvd media.

Also a little setting change in shrink to keep from burning to the far outer edge of the disk (this is where the dye layor tends to be the worst). Open shrink click on the edit tab then click on preferences. Change target dvd size to custom then type in 4350. Your set.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005