1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-A05 Vs. Sony DRU-500AX

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SuperKal, Mar 16, 2003.

1. SuperKal

SuperKal Member

Okay, I am sure this is probably a very easy question to answer, but I really want to get started with DVD burning the right way and all my research on drives points to these two. I really don't mind if the pioneer only uses -R and -RW while the Sony handles all formats. The price difference isn't that big of a deal either. (from what I can see the Sony is around $40-$50 more)

What do people think about these two drives? Which one is a better buy? Which performs better? If I were to be doing straight backups of DVD9 format movies as described in Raptor's burning guide on digital-forums.com which drive would work better. (Here is the link to that Guide -
    www.digital-forums.com/dvd2dvdr/)

I am sure either drive will work fine for the things I want to accomplish, but I'd really like to have some more experienced users' thoughts.

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

From a techinal point of view, there is very little difference between these 2 devices (some might say the Sony has the edge).

However, try getting hold of a Sony at present, they are rarer than hens teeth.

Best value for money has to be the Sony, will work to both formats, BUT.....

Will your DVD settop playback both formats.

Worth checking out.

HomerJ

3. joblow

joblow Guest

Well I can't tell about the Sony Dru because I don't have it, but I can tell you that I had backup alot of movies with the Pioneer a-05 and it works well even with cheap media(less than 1 buck) I am so far very pleased with that drive. If you think you will use dvd+r for making you backups then you should go with the Sony. Otherwise you should go for the Pioneer. I wasn't very concerned about the -r/+r war when I bought my drive because the -r media are most populars and more compatibles, most sites will confirm it. My point is I don't think it is a good idea to buy a drive that is only supporting +r. I think that both drive Sony-dru and Pioneer A-05 are good. If you want to learn more on DVD-R/DVD+r and what media you should use, here's a link:

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/meritline/WhatisDVDR.pdf