1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-AO6U DVD/CD Writer installation

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bplowe, Jan 2, 2004.

1. bplowe

bplowe Member

I just bought a Pioneer DVR-AO6U and would like to know how to hook up the gray cord that came with it to the sound card and drive. I saw in one of the other threads that this has to be done for the video to work. Right now when I try to play a DVD I get the following error message: Error PL4014: Playback failed due to an error with the audio subsystem. Sound works fine though when I play a CD. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You say the sound is ok when you play a CD. Is the CD on a different drive? If so, you need to hook up the gray wire from the DVD drive to the same place on the sound card as the wire from the CD drive. You may need a "Y" adapter wire if you only have 1 place on the sound card to put 2 plugs. The single end of the Y goes to the card and the other 2 ends go to the back of the CD drive and DVD drive. Not sure if you have 1 or 2 drives on your system.
    Jerry

3. bplowe

bplowe Member

Thanks, Jerry. Actually, this is a DVD/CD drive so I took out the older CD burner and put this one in its place, simply taking the Audio Cable, Interface Cable, and Power Cable connections from the CD drive and connecting them to similar ports in the new DVD/CD drive. The manual of is no help and I can't find tech support for this problem online. The gray cable that came with the new drive seems just like the audio cable connected to the older one.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

OK then you did everything right. The only thing else to check is that you didn't bend or miss one of the wire pins that you plug the gray wire on to. I don't think you can accidently reverse the plug in back of the dvd drive.
    The error message is audio related so everything else os fine. Make sure the audio card didn't come unseated slightly.
    Jerry

5. bplowe

bplowe Member

Yeah, I thought I had connected everything properly. Because CDs play fine I don't think I did anything to the soundcard. The other Pioneer software (Ulead) included for playing CDs keeps saying "No disc detected. Please try again." The Interactual player can read the disk but says there is a sound problem. I've removed and reinstalled the software to no avail. And I have the proper DVD decoder and DirectX program. Now that I've exhausted all of the Troubleshooting options I'm starting to think there is a problem with the drive itself.