1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR106 (106D, A06) Firmware RPC1

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Oriphus, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Is it official?
    I downloaded the official one 1 week ago.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, the official only supports ripping at 2x and isnt region free. Its exactly the same as the official except that it allows the region free ripping at 12x. Pretty good :-D

4. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I think I will give it a try!
    Thanks for the info.
    I have my Pioneer DVD reader unlock, but it does not rip so well, so I will unlock my burner now.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It should rip at around 12x according to the release notes that wre with it. However, im sure you would be happy with 8x anyway, thats what i get on my DVR105 :-D

6. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I used the reader to rip (Pioneer DVD-116) but it appears to have a problem.
    It rips alright, then it stops for 10sec and rips again. Note than this happens every minute.
    The writer (Pioneer 106A) does not have a similar problem.

Do you think there is a solution for that?
    I've tried everything, I have the same firmware that the page you say has (for the reader of course) and generally the drive behaves very well then reading CDs.

Note that the same thing happens with not protected DVDs, so I cannot blaim protection.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, i've heard of people experiencing similar problems with Panasonic ROM's. I preume you need the DVD ROM for on the fly copying od DVDR's, otherwise using the Pioneer DVR106 would be preferable

8. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

No, I don't copy on-the-fly, only data DVDs which seems to be read OK.

Anyway you are write I use the writer for ripping. You know, not using it for that, gives you a feeling that you are "saving it". Here in Greece this drives are rather expensive, I got it for 260 Euro, so you are careful with them! :)

9. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

Would this update work on my 106d that was purchased in the US? I don't know if there are different updates for drives sold in other regions?

10. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Yes you can, it doesn't matter where you got it from.
    Well I used it and it is pretty good (it rips must faster) and of course it is region free, so I think it should be good if you used it.
    Be careful though, as you may damage you drive. Follow exactly the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

11. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

I have been using this firmware since it came out about two weeks ago, have had no problems at all.. Ripping speed is pretty good, best I have seen is 6.5x on dual layer, 10.5x on single layer... much better than 2.1x previous.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  12. freaktoo

freaktoo Member

I have a Pioneer 106D. I am trying to figure out what this firmware update will improve on my drive. When you say that it will burn region free, what exactly does that mean? Will I be able to make a copy of any dvd regardless of region? Or can I burn a dvd from a different region and turn it into a region free dvd? Can I switch the region? Is there potential for damage to the player? Is it possible to roll back if there are problems?

I am also trying to decide which software suite to use for making copies. Is there a way to switch regions with software?

I appreciate any help I can get since I am new to this.
    Thanks,
    Freaktoo

13. JustMax

JustMax Member

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware on the external version of the drive (i.e. DVR-S606)?

14. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well this firmware unlock the region of your drive, which means that you can read ALL the DVDs, no matter what their region is.

Normally you can change the region code 5 times only, but with firmware you don't have to change it at all, it plays everything. Also you can rip with speeds up to 12x instead of 2x that your drived is locked to.

to JustMax: I realy don't know, it should work but better go at http://forum.rpc1.org/ to find a region-free firmware especially for your drive, or ask if this one will work.