1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel question

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by amiwhere, Dec 27, 2003.

1. amiwhere

amiwhere Member

I am looking for feedback regarding pixels and how much emphasis should be placed on them when purchasing a digital camcorder. It sounds as though the Sony DCRTRV350 is an excellent choice, but I am concerned about the low pixel output. Also, do camcorders use all their available pixels in general? The Sony seems to output using only half of their available pixels. I do not intend to use this for stills, but I do want to use it to transfer analog to digital. Does the pixel output make a difference for that as well? Thanks for any help you may offer.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

i wouldn't get a digital8. I would get a minidv--they can be found almost as cheap as digital8.

but it's digital to start.

3. amiwhere

amiwhere Member

Thanks for that advice. Currently I am on a bit of a budget with another baby on the way.

As far as the analog to digital, besides normal use, I intend to use the camcorder for video pass through to transfer VHS to digital.

The pixel question is an area I have seen no information on. I have a 6 MP digital camera which allows for excellent cropping. The Sony digital camcorders in general have some of the lowest pixels out there, but great user reviews regarding picture, including low light. This concerns me and I am looking for some input on this subject.

Thanks again.

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

most camcorders are lines of resolution--not pixels. Usually the pixel count is the still image that it can take. Not an issue with you if you have a 6mp still cam.

I have a sony and have had no complaints with the image quality.

Any camera with video pass through will help you convert analog to digital.

5. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

pixels are a tricky issue, there are other factors to consider ie

sensor type: CCD or CMOS or other
    number of sensors : 1CCD or 3CCD

Next pixels are not square they are usually rectangle to allow for maximum amount of horizonatl lines to fit in a particaur size of sensor,

then not forgetting sensor size, (he he size matters!!) basically the bigger the better!

they came in different sizes like 1/6" 1/3" 2/3" and 1/2" and other inbetween sizes but expect 2/3" or above on any consumer models these are usally found on expensive models like Sony CinAlta F900 (about $90,000 without accessoryies) yea yea ok so that the expensive example i can think of, (not all of pro cams are that expensive)