1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelated image during playback - Philips DVP642

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by iggyb, Jan 21, 2005.

1. iggyb

iggyb Member

Just picked up a Philips DVP642 to dealve into the world of DivX. Most burnt movies play fine, but I have run into several that are very pixelated and unwatchable.

The weird thing is that they play fine and crisp on my computer, but when I burn them and try to play them through the 642, they are pixelated. I tried the disc on my computer and it's fine.

Is there something I'm missing?

I have done the firmware upgrade for the player, but it made no difference.

Does it have anything to do with a codec? Burn settings? I am burning with Nero 6.3

Or do I need to be looking for specific info when I download the torrent file for the film?

Please help....it's frustrating!

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Okay, a few things. I have the same player so i know what you are talking about. There are two kinds of pixelation. The normal kind (block boxes) are just from the compression of the movie. On a computer, there's postprocessing and a smaller screen so the blocks don't show, but when it's resized to a much larger TV they show up. You have to live with that, it's just the nature of compressing large objects. If you do your own encoding, you can use avisynth to filter out your movies and reduce the blocking, but most internet encodes that i've seen are just plain vanilla encodes. There is another problem and that's some films will show an ugly purplish blocking and the movie is completely unviewable. If you hit the system menu button (system menu which is on the right side of the remote as opposed to dvd menu which is the left menu button) and then hit the system menu button again, the film will look normal. There are so many ways to encode divx and xvid and they aren't all the same sometimes but generally those are the two major blockiness type issues you have to deal with on the dvp642.

3. iggyb

iggyb Member

Thanks! I will try your suggestion.

The pixelation is sort of like the second one you mentioned (purple/green digitizing). The movie is totally unwatchable.

Hopefully your remedy will help.

Thanks again!