1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixellation Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sdculp, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sdculp

sdculp Member

I would like to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. I use the latest versions of the Nero 6 software. The operating system is Windows ME with 256 meg of RAM running at 800 mhz. My video card is a ATI AIW Radeon with version 8.8 multimedia software.

The tapes capture to the hard drive OK and the files play well with different players on the computer. However, when I burn them to DVD using NeroVision Express 3, and play them on the TV or on the computer with the DVD player they pixellate badly, skip a lot and are unusable. By "pixellate", I mean that the picture is made up of tiny rectangles. It has been suggested to me that this is also called “artifacting”. Something is apparently not right with the burn process.

I realize that my computer is a little on the weak side for video, but it seems to capture OK. I didn’t think processor power and RAM had that much to do with the actual burning process.

Can someone help me?

Thank you

Stu Culp

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Burning dvds uses most of your PC resources and 256ram is bare minimum. You should at least add more ram. The playback problem is usually caused by cheap/poor quality blank media. What brand are you using? Always buy the better quality blanks and try to keep burn speed no higher than 4x. If you are using cheap media try it at 2x burn speed. That may help. Check the media forum on here for suggested brands.

Jerry

3. sdculp

sdculp Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I am using Verbatim DVD+RW media. That has always worked well in the past for CD stuff.

I will try to remove as much of the background activity as I can and try again, but I don't think that helped much in the past. Looks like an excuse for a new machine :)

Stu

4. sdculp

sdculp Member

Almost forgot: I burn at 2X

Stu

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Make sure all programs that start on bootup are shut down. Having anti-virus running or anything else in the background will cause problems. Do not multi-task while doing the backup. I have heard that doing a defrag helps sometimes too. All you want running is your backup software. Do not surf the net.

Jerry

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Windows ME might be the problem. I haven't used it too much, but every time I did I ended up with nothing but problems. Also, 800 MHz is kinda slow.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think ME is the problem. My first 6-8 months of dvd burning was with ME. It never caused any burn problems. Like I said before the 256mb ram is really too low. 512 would be better.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005