1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixilated Output When Backing Up DVD's on a Vista Machine

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Freway01, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Freway01

Freway01 Member

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so if it isn't let me know where to put it or where I can go for help.

I’ve been running Vista Home Premium since it was released and have tried backing up my DVD’s on it using DVD Shrink and Any DVD (DVDFab when needed) but when I go to play the copied DVD there is a lot of pixilation. If I go back and run the same backup on an old XP machine running the same software the copy is fine.

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong or how to correct the problem? I thought it was the DVD writer but I installed a new writer and it does the something.

Any help out there?

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Chances are that its just a problem with shrink in Vista.
    Try to use Nero Recode new version, if you can get it.
    Its made by the same guy that wrote Shrink, so looks and acts the same, it just doesn't have the ability to work with copy protected DVDs, but as you're already using anydvd that won't matter.

3. Freway01

Freway01 Member

I'll give that a try again but I think I already tried that.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You could always try DVD Rebuilder and either one of the free encoders, or get a copy of CCE, procoder 2.
    DVD RB uses these encoders to produce the film, rather than the transcoders that shrink etc... use.
    It is known to work on Vista without problems for most people.

Taken from the DVD rebuilder web site, explains it nicely.

5. Freway01

Freway01 Member

I'll try some of these suggestions but my main real question was, "is anyone else having a problem copying DVD's on a Vista machine?" Are you running Vista?

Like I said, if I use all of the same software on the XP machine, everything works fine, perfect copy. I heard that Vista has some code built into it that enforces copy-right protection and was wonder if this was the cause. Which is why I was trying to find out if other Vista users were having problems and if they were, what were they doing to get around them?

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i do believe that is that drm thing that is built in vista, that is why a lot of people did not want to upgrade to the new os, there was a lot of talk on this problem that could put a damper on people who wanted to make backups of thier dvd's and audio cd"s, not to sure if there is like a patch that could fix this, what i would do is unind=stall vista and go back to where you were, and make your backups with no fuss no muss, but that is me, good luck

7. Freway01

Freway01 Member

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ system which is a tri-boot machine (WinXP-64, Vista-32, & Vista-64) mostly booted into Vista-32 which I really like because of the new Vista interface and speed. I also have another AMD Athlon 64 3800+ PC that runs WinXP Media Center which is what I use to copy my DVD's.

I would really like to know if there is anyone out there that is running Vista and able to make perfect copies of DVD's and if so, what they are using. Eventually I was hoping of using the Media Center portion to rip video so I can stream it to my HDTV.

Is there anyone out there running Vista and having luck making backup copies of their DVD’s?

8. Freway01

Freway01 Member

I tried using latest Nero Recode with AnyDVD and that seamed to work.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I thought it would.
    Good to know though.

Thanks for the feedback.