1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pixilation in shrink 3.2

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by unsure, Feb 13, 2005.

1. unsure

unsure Member

hi i have used shrink(starting with the beta,than 3.17) for a while now without any problems.all the backups have been great. recently(i dont know why)i decided to upgrade to 3.2.now some of the back ups have some pixilation occuring(not much,a few seconds of it)considering this has never happened in the previous versions,i decided to uninstall 3.2&reinstall 3.17 .the pixilations are still occuring,though this time in 3.17.(i havent tried the beta version yet)im doing exactly what ive always done(rip with decrypter&encode with shrink) when backing up so i cant work out why this is happening.what have i screwed up here?,does anyone have any suggestions??

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Pixilation usually comes from cheap media,what brand are you using?
    jD

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I have two burners, an OptoRite and an Asus. The media I used before in the OptoRite worked great, but when used in the Asus burner, it looks like a confetti convention. Is this a new package of media or a different brand of media you are using now?

Jim_Dandy, I love that gif of the lady going up the steps, coaster, and then back again! It's great!

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I hate that when it happens. Slow system again. Sorry for the double post!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@unsure,
    When you installed the new version of Shrink, did you remember to set the Quality settings? Deep analysis and Quality enhancement? These are not selected by default.

6. cl1986

cl1986 Member

I got the pixeliztion with RE Apocalypse and with no other movie, i think i burned it at 8x, but i have since tried slower with no luck. Using TDK media, 15 other movies work great. Never have figured it out.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cl1986

Depending on the size of the movie, if you did a full backup copy, the compression might have been too much for your media and is now giving you pixilation. Try it again but with movie only and menu using DvdDecrypter and Recode 2 or remove more from the original such as foreign languages that you won’t need and/or extras when using DVD Decrypter and then DVD Shrink. Custom compression for Menu, Extras, and everything else other then the Main Movie.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  8. unsure

unsure Member

hi thanks for all the suggestions. im using the same media; ridisc(purple coloured one)dvdr-4x,as i usually use,burning at 8x with 107pioner.i usually custom compress all the extras,but only ones that are 15-20mb more in size as ive found in the past if i start compressing title,menus etc,that are smaller than 10mb,it comes out crap&leave the main movie alone.the movies itself arent that big 6,6.5 gig.i dont usually tick deep analasis or enchansment,as they take twice as long&ive never had any reason to use it as all the backups have been exellent,though i might have to start using it now.you dont think this is a hardware problem ie the burner.(i hope not as its only about a year old).perhaps somethings messed up in my os,or the quality of the ridisc media has gone downhill.i dont know

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

unsure

Manufacturers of media use different vendors for their demand to produce product. Just because it says XYZ brand media, doesn't mean that XYZ produced it. We've all found out the hard way that some are better then others. It's the media code on the disk that really tells us where the product came from and even now the article posted her a couple of days ago even suggested that some of the media codes are bootleg also.

Best to use a brand recommended by your DVD Manufacturer and that also has a good rep with people users here in Afterdawn. If you try a different piece of media that is recommended doing the burn the way you always do, and it gives bad results, then it might be time to look at new hardware. I’m sure that you don’t have any new programs running in the background then you did before that might affect your burn, but you could try this site link and get free software, filemon.exe, that will run in the background and see if there is something that might be affecting your burn. Just because there is nothing in the task manager that shows a prog running, doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Good luck and let us know what you find.

(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml)

10. unsure

unsure Member

hi scubaBud,thanks for the link,d/loaded&installed&did a backup(starting from scratch)again of one of the pixilated movie,with the prog running.had a few messages like "range not locked","no such file" or "file not found(during the burn only).dont really know what it all means but the end result was ok,no pixilation etc. i think i have now sussed out what was causing the pixis etc as i took one of the bad backups to a mate &tried it on his dvd player.its was fine,no pixilation,it was perfect.so it must be my dvd player.got home played it on my dvd player&it was pixilating at different places to what it was,doh.i always thought that pixilations were usually software/encoding or h/ware/burner problems. sorry my friend,it just never occured to me that it could be my dvd player.all the same im going to leave 3.17 on &try different media when this batch i have finishes.perhaps 8x.interesting article about dodgy disc so ill look in the media forum &see what good etc,&try not to buy them from the market next time.thanks again

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thank you for getting back with us to let us know the status! Take care. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005