1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

placing any DVD in DVD/RW results in 'SHUTDOWN'

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by lantz, Feb 12, 2007.

1. lantz

lantz Member

Before Windows XP-Home Re-install:
    I could burn and play any DVD. I was successful in using Pgc-edit and producing dual-layer DVDs.

After performing XP-Home Re-install due to major OS foul-ups:
    The computer shuts-down after inserting any copy protected DVD. The monitor displays a blue screen and suggests running a system diagnostic utility, a memory check, and faulty memory. Also it says to try changing video adapters.

I can insert un-protected DVDs without this problem but I can't get them to play.

I have a Dell 8300. Sony dual layer DVD/rw (after market installed), Nero has been un-installed, reinstalled, uninstalled reinstalled, Windows media player 10 with intervideo plugin.

Do I need to remove the dvd burner, reboot, reinstall the dvd burner and reboot? It seems that it is a software issue.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Actually, if you did a Repair, instead of formatting the OS partition, then installing XP Home, therein lies your problem. There are gremlins from the previous "major OS foul-ups".