1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Alex_K, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

I am going to buy a Hitachi plasma TV pd9700 42 inch. Resolution is 1024*1080. It is a decent price (1600 euros)

I want to watch both movies and play the ps3 games nicely. I am not the most discerning gamer or movie watcher. Does anyone have any specific issues with the plasma mentioned or why I should not buy it and go for an LCD instead?

I know LCDs are better generally speaking for games and Plasma generally for movies. Will i really be able to see the difference for the games versus LCD?

Could there be a specif issue with the 1024*1080 resolution?

Thanks

Alex

2. keeprolin

keeprolin Member

Generally speaking, the lifespan of Plasma TVs are shorter then LCD

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

evidently plasmas have a 60,000 hour halflife so that roughhly translates to 40 years with 4 hours a day to reach half brightness. So in my case i think i will be getting a new one before that...

4. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

The reason for using LCD over Plasma for Gaming is Plasma suffer from screen burn, esp for the 1st week. gaming is a major problem as the health bay and score, amo count etc, are on the screen all the time. a static on most plasma will burn after 10 mins. and can take upto two week to fade. so can be a pain watching a moving with your game stats in the corners. also you going to get game stats of a previous game.

Some plasma are worse than others. some plasma claim to have fixed the problem, but this is not true. I have read loads of posts of ppl with plasma that are not ment to burn and have.

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

i c you do have a good point there... does anyone have experience with plasmas here and ps3

6. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

There have been also a lot of problem with sky+ and sky HD. with the pause problem.

7. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Why don't you want LCD.

Mine is amazing with movies and PS3. SD TV is not as good as a CRT. but HD content is great.

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

it is not that i dont want it

1) i have an old plasma monitor (no tuner - 6 years old) and have come to trust it although whites are horrible - all the same there is no screen burn after 6 years.

2) I have found a nice price for the hitachi mentioned

3)I have read that movies are better on plasma (again i doubt i would ever notice the differece)

4) Plasmas are supposed to have better response rates

5) no burnt pixels

6) less sensitive screen

7) and this http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/

9. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I think the facts on that site are a bit out dated.

are you 100% sure you can't get dead plasma pixels

Plus current LCD have 6-8 ms responce wich makes responce time illrelivant

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

well i will see what prices i can get for equivalent lcds and go from there since as far as i can see the balance is prety much balanced.

Thanks

11. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I had the same problem on what to choose.

but I can't fault my TV for HD movies. plus games are fantastic, plus not got to worry about burn. also I don't think burn is covered by warantee as it states in all the manuals to not keep static images on the TV.

It may be best to read / post in the TV forum's not the PS3 ones. as they will have better info.

12. cartucho

cartucho Member

i dunno about too much about plasmas but the lcd one i got plays like a champ.. games and movies.. just make sure the tv has an HDMI connection youll need that for good quality and sound. heck if your worry do what i did.. get it at best buy and get the 3year warranry.. theyll replace it no matter what if it is broken. i think the only thing they don;t cover is if you beat it with a baseball bat.. those companies value your bussiness.. they know youll be back for another one in 4 yrs

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I would buy a LCD. The reason is because my friend had a a panasonic plasma and he left halo 2 on over night in the main menu and the menu image burned into the TV, the TV was only 1 week old. It is very hard to watch TV with the Halo 2 menu screen burned in. I will see if I can get a picture.

14. zub7

zub7 Guest

screen burn is over exagerated especially in newer plasma's and the 9700 is a very new model.

Just keep the contrast and brightness low for the first 100 hours or so of use, then you can put them back up, then they are as durable as CRT TV's.

Frankly your friend was an idiot to leave a static image over night on a brand new plasma that has not been used long.

I would get it if i was you, screen burn is hardly a isuue anymore, trust me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Having a Hangover will do that. He was able to exchange it at Best Buy no hassel.

16. zub7

zub7 Guest

well that worked out well. if you know how to handle plasmas in the early hours of use they will be as good as any other TV technology.

17. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Have a look at this thread

guy say's he replaced his plasma with a LCD and the LCD is better.

18. zub7

zub7 Guest

eh, maybe it is, but you must remember not all plasma are the same. i'm sure there are many plasmas out there that are better. IMHO a Hitachi 9700 for that price is a bargain, if it were a LCD 9700 it would cost much more. I bet you image quality would be very hard to tell apart.

19. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I do agree with you, just stating that the differance between LCD and plasma is very small. and unless your very carefull and know what your doing and not playing games for a very long time, you may want to stay about from plasma's, I know somone got diss'd for leaving there game on over night, but I have played RFOM for over 12 hours no stop over the Weekend. so thats a lot longer than over night.

It's just Ive seen a lot of posts bithcing about sky+ and HD pause icon staying on screen when paused as it's burnt there plasma's

20. zub7

zub7 Guest

i myself have a 37" Philips HDTV, so i know the difference between the two, To be honest if you take care with a plasma in the first 100 hours of use or so, then afterwards you can basically scratch off screen burn from your list. Its just that plasmas are just that little bit more delicate than other technologies, but for their price to picture quality and size they cant be beat.