1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV vs LCD TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gigi_lala, Dec 6, 2004.

1. gigi_lala

gigi_lala Member

Hi

I've got a newbie question to ask.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons between Plasma and LCD TVs? Or are there any links to address this?

Thanks in advance.

If this question has been answered before, kindly direct me to the post. Thank u thank u

Richard

2. LoneShark

LoneShark Member

Hi Gigi,

Here is some basic difference between LCD and Plasma...

1. Plasmas are now more readily available as well as more affordable than LCD's of the same size.

2. LCD's are usually of better quality picture since it runs off of Liquid crytals as apposed to Pixels.

3. Plasmas must be refilled every few years, (global gas refilling that can be $1000.00 and up).

If I were to choose one of the two, I would definately go for LCD, it may be more $$$ up front, but it will be a less hassel down the road. LCD's have for the most part retained their value, plasmas on the other hand have dropped in value. Thats just my 2 cents!

Lone

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Misconception #1: Many retailers seem to be telling consumers that plasma monitors will only last a couple of years which is false

Misconception #2: The gas plasma inside the plasma TV can be refilled or replaced when it burns out. This is false.

Manufacturers Life Expectancies:

Panasonic: States that the monitor is good for 20,000 to 30,000 hours. They also state that these plasma displays measure 50% brightness (phosphor ignition may be a better term) at 50,000 hours.

Fujitsu: States that the panel lasts 20,000 to 25,000 hours

Pioneer: States that the 50" PDP 502MX (or 505HD) measures half brightness (phosphor ignition) at 30,000 hours of use. They also state the newer model 503CMX (or Pro 1000HD) with a deeper pixel structure will last even longer though they do not have numbers.

Sharp: States that plasma panels only last 10,000 to 20,000 hours and that LCD monitors last longer. No doubt they say that because they produce a lot more LCD screens....

[bold]On average if you watch a plasma screen for 5 hours a day - expect to get between 10 & 12 years of usage without any problem.[/bold]

4. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

but aren't the new DLP lcd's much better?..no gas...no guns..just tens of thousands of mirrors....(on hinges...go figure that)

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol, yes and know. I see your point, but they do seem to be reliable. The degree at which they turn and the spaces in between each mirror is key to getting a better contrast ration while maintaining a bright picture. There are newer methods being tested, who knows what the future holds...

6. bpitt

bpitt Member

Another thing to note about plasmas is that the are vulnerable to burn in. A still image left on the screen can cause a permanent ghost image that can be seen even when the tv is off. Also I believe LCDs weigh less than Plasmas.

When talking about picture quality you have to consider the video source. I purchased a non-name brand 27" LCD for about $1000. DVDs look great while regular cable tv look average. Actually some regular cable channels look worse than on my old CRT TV. Then again channels that are available in High Definition are awesome. I am very happy to date with my purchase. Before you buy a tv ask yourself what need it for? If you are going to watch standard tv most of the time, all a plasma or a LCD will do is magnify that standard channel and it will look like crap in which case you could save yourself a pretty penny by not buying plasma or LCD.

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

oriphus is right.."who knows"...where it is going....i remember my Uncle Paul had the first tv in the family....screen was 7" diag......housed in a box the size of a refrigerator...lol....now look....dlp which are very cool...could be edsels in the future...(edsel was a car.................lol)...