1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

play back jumpy in dvd player

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by freaky1, Dec 14, 2004.

1. freaky1

freaky1 Member

I have a question and can't find the answer in the forum. If it has already been answered please point me to it. I was backing up a vhs to dvd using my stand alone dvd recorder. Have done several of them with no problem but this one is pissing me off.

Back up on stand alone dvd recorder on memorex dvd+rw. THen use smarter ripper to put on computer then use shrink to reauthor and burn on ritek dvd-r.

Here is the problem with this one, when I play it on my apex dvd player, playback is jumpy, but the same disc
    plays fine on computer. Even playing the raw files on computer all play fine.

Thanks to all here I have learned a lot from each of u.

2. bruwery

bruwery Member

Part of your problem is due to the fact that certain players have more trouble reading disks than other players. I have two stand alone players in addition to the burner drive on my PC. All three handle certain disks differently.

A big part of that problem is that not all blank DVD media are created equally. Some brands just don't provide consistent quality. I'm not an authority on what brands are good or bad, but I've had pretty good luck with Verbatim Datalife. I've used a couple hundred Silver Matte Ritek G04's, but I'm not sold on them.

Another issue could be a messy hard drive on your PC. Try defragmenting your hard drive. I recently started getting a very high rate of disks jumping, skipping and freezing. I thought maybe I had a bad bunch of disks, but I tested them with DVD Infopro, and there weren't any read errors on them.

So, I defragmented the hard drive, and since that time I've noticed a marked improvement in my results - using the same batch of disks.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try a using a slower burn speed.

Good luck!