1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play back of dvd-r/dvd-rw

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by chewbaca, Jan 30, 2005.

1. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

Can I playback a dvd+r on a dvd-r machine and viseversa.And what does "plays multiple dvd formats " mean if you dont know what those formats are?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Most DVD players will play back -Rs or +Rs. If there are problems, it would most likely be with rewritables like +RWs and -RWs, and I don't know anything other than Panasonic players that can read DVD-RAMs. Your best bet would be to just try it out or if you can get a hold of the original manual, just check. If the player is only 2 years old or less, I'm almost sure it will play both -Rs/+Rs.

3. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

The only problems I've ever had were with RWs in older players, all of the newer players seem to take anything (with the exception of a year-old UK Pacific). If you're worried about a specific format take a disk along to the store and see if they'll try it on the display unit for you.

Set-top boxes aside, you can play DVD-RAM on your PC with a suitable drive, although the format is probably always going to be an "also ran", especially in light of the new high capacity formats on the horizon. DVD-RAM is not exclusive to Panasonic, LG for example, produce PC DVD-RAM drives.