1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play back problems with backed up DVD's

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by crowie, Jan 20, 2005.

1. crowie

crowie Guest

I seem to have run into problems playing backed up DVD's on my family DVD player (Panasonic DV444 - I think, multi region, approx 3 years old).

I back up using Nero Burning Rom (pretty much most recent version), create a DVD video. My DVD writer is the NEC 3500 8x +/-

I have used this method for some time with no problems whatsover. Then I started to find that backups I made played smoothly for a certain period of time but approx 1 hour or so into the movie the picture would start to stutter and freeze, "corrupt" blocks would appear in the picture and after 2 or 3 mins this would worsen to make the film unwatchable.

I did a couple of back ups for a friend as well and he experienced similar problems or the films just wouldn't play at all.

I actually but this down to a bad batch of DVD's (Bulkpaq orange 8x) as the problems seemed to start as I started on this batch of discs. I had convinced myself that this was the case when watching an entire movie on a different brand of disc on Saturday. However I went to watch another movie tonight (Bridget Jones) and the familar problems appeared again - on the new brand of disc.

Other back ups that I have been trouble free in the past continue to play with no issues at all on my DVD player.

So, is my problem

1. My writer
    2. The quality of my back ups
    3. The quality of my media
    4. My back up software (Nero)
    Or any other possible problem than anyone can think off.

Would be very grateful for any comments or views on this problem. TIA:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

High quality media will help out a lot on stand alone players. Poor media has to burned a lot slower to be viewable in stand alone players.

How fast are you burning?
    Are you burning the entire disc?

4x is par for most people dvd burning. The higher quality media lets me burn faster.

The lower quality media may have uneven dye,especially on the outer edge of the disc. I use dvd shrink and set the burn target at 4300 mbs to eliminate these problems.

Nec makes a good burner,nero is what I use to burn.nero 6.0 oem version.

Multi-tasking could also cause this,I leave everything in the background off while I do my dvd backups.

That playback issue points to the media. Try burning it slower,maybe even the slowest setting you can get.

3. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Sounds like a media problem to me also.

4. crowie

crowie Guest

Thanks for responses (and apologies for delay in replying).

My media is Bulkpaq and I do tend to burn at 8x but I will try a different brand of media. I also do have a lot of other processes going at the same time, d/l torrents, un-raring files etc.

I tried one of the films I had issues with again on a RW disc, 4x and no other processes running and touch wood it came out ok.

Hopefully that will solve my problems.

5. matthew23

matthew23 Member

Hi Everyone...

I am having a similar issue...

I have a Sony 650W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/MP3 Player (model # DAV-BC150). I have had it for about a month and recently started backing up my DVDs with a dvd burner using dvd shrink/dvd de-encrypter. Until last night, everything worked fine. However, while watching a burned dvd, it all of a sudden skipped to another track and began to look all "pixelated". I removed the disc and put in a non-burned dvd and it did the same thing. I tried cleaning the lense and that worked for a little while.

Some of the burned dvds don't play, the screen on the dvd player just reads "Reading" and does nothing. Its weird how all of a sudden if started doing this. Any suggestions?

6. matthew23

matthew23 Member

Btw,

I am using a Plextor 16X dvd burner with 8X FujiFilm dvds.

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i would try slowing the burn speed down to 4x . burning at higher speeds has been known to cause write errors and the problems you describe. also checking to see if you have the latest firmware for your burner can help , if you wish to continue to burn over 4x i would suggest using higher quality media like taiyo yudens .

8. matthew23

matthew23 Member

thanks DLC,

I'll give that a shot. If I have 8x dvds, can they burn at 4x if I set it to that in DVD Shrink?

Also, do you think it could be my dvd player? It says it can read dvd r's but when I put in a regular dvd not burned, it gave me the same problem. I've never had a problem before last night. Do you know of anything I can try for that??

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

you should have no problems using 8x discs and burning @4x with them . i dont use the software that you are using so i cant comment further on burn speed adjustments with that software . with that being said and you saying your dvd player has trouble playing pressed dvd's also , i would suggest to try a lens cleaner for your dvd player . what is the condition of the original dvd ? is it scratched ? some dvd players are picky with even slightly scratched dvd's . your backups are only as good as the original source dvd . does your dvd player have the same problems with all dvd's ? if so i would think its either dirty or there is some thing wrong with it . sorry i cant be more help

10. matthew23

matthew23 Member

thanks, I'll give it a shot!

11. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Problems here to did not start till i got new drive sony DRU710A with new firmware loaded. Was running sony DRU510A. Using Verbatium and Tiyo media. Original back up looks fine plays on everything. But try to make a disk to disk copy has been a problem, (Making backup of backup:).Burning media at diffrent speeds does not change result although looking at scans with nero quality tests i can see the diffrence in 4X-16X burn qualitys, Test done reading at 4X. Im reading to hard drive first (SATA).Example burned Tiyo-R4X original plays in apex,Xbox,PC. Disk to Disk copy picture freezes. Disk to disk,write ISo with decrypter,Shrink,write file with decrypter use IMGTool
    to make ISo. None of this changes the end result,burned
    verbatium (MCC003)4X-16X no change. There are no labels either. Im begening to think It's the burner. With my old drive DRU510 I used dvdxcopy and veritas and had very high succes rate making disk to disk copys. Always
    used same tiyo media on old drive. Could it possibly be the read of the single layer (D5) disk that's the problem. Nothing ever errors out.

Any Ideas?

Thanx

Spacedust