1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play ISOs on 4GB memory stick?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by DCP_PSP, Feb 10, 2007.

1. DCP_PSP

DCP_PSP Regular member

I just purchased a 4GB memory stick PRO duo and I have seen some people complaining that they cant run ISOs on a 4gb memory stick because there is something wrong with it, will this happen to me too?

Regards, Donovan.

2. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

why don't u try it out?

3. JinkoMK

JinkoMK Guest

You can play ISO's on a 4 gig. I have a 4 gig and no problems yet. And mines fake too. So the real should be better.

4. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

They were complaining because their cards are fake, and as such have problems running anything, including ISO's

5. lpatrickl

lpatrickl Member

i have a 4 GB card sony due one and it works fine :)

6. Glitchbob

Glitchbob Guest

i dont know about other peoples cards but mine isnt fake. this is what i have figured out so far. (im running 3.03OE-C)i called sony a little while ago and the told me that when the 4gb memory stick came out it had problems relating to the software but since i have a japanese psp (i have a white one) he doesnt know if thats the case. however i am using firmware based off american firmware. i think whats happening is that the 1.50 part of our custom firmware is sometimes interfering with the 3.03 part in recognizing the memory stick. in other words the 1.5 firmware cant read the 4gb but the 3.03 can and it is causing something things to work and somethings not to work. i have decided im just gonna wait it out and see what the next dark_alex custom firmware has to offer.

7. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Wrong, I had no problems using my 4 GB sandisk stick with normal firmware 1.50, it's a rumor that 1.50 didn't recognize 4 GB sitcks. Also 3.10 OE-A2 is out for quite some time now.

8. JonnyF07

JonnyF07 Member

Hi,

I have a JAP PSP TA-082 with 3.10 OE-A2.

I have 2 memory sticks

1.Sony 2Gb Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed)- MSX-M2GN
    2.Sony 4Gb Memory Stick Pro Duo - MSX-M4GN

Now, for the most part everything is fine running from either stick. i.e. most games are fine, plays music / video (762kbps) no problem at all.

However, there are certain games that are problematic on the 4gb stick only.

For example....

1. Daxter - Videos / Cut scenes are choppy
    2. NFS Carbon Own the City - Choppy game play (can be pretty much fixed by running at 333, but 2gb stick is fine at 222)
    3.Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition - Choppy Videos and gameplay

I don't think the stick is faulty and even though the 2gb stick says "high speed" - both sticks have the same read/write access time as far as I can tell.

One thing I have noticed... on the 4gb stick when playing one of the choppy cut scenes / gameplay - the card access light is flashing like mad, however on the 2gb stick it just flickers intermittantly.

All in all, there seems to be some issues using 4gb memory stick, possibly with certain hardware combos.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon.

9. bobbyhall

bobbyhall Member

Yes, im having this problem aswell with my 4gb, most of my games seem to be stopping and starting like cutscens and gameplay, have psp v3.10oe......y isit doing this

10. JonnyF07

JonnyF07 Member

Well, to follow on from my last post...

My 4gb stick seems to have gone completly now... my PSP won't recognise it at all(nor will my brothers non modded 2.71 uk variant PSP.)

Windows can still read the stick, and I can copy data to it.

I tried Sonys own memory stick formatter and it won't see the card either, unless you force it. But then it says "there is a problem with the data managment area of the device, use a complatible product (i.e. PSP) to perform a format)" - or words to that effect.

So it appears that there may in fact be a problem with the stick, not sure what broke it tho...

Any help is appreaciated, (I rang Sony and they were completely useless - other than to say return it for testing)

Cheers,

Jon.

11. chris7

chris7 Member

Hey do the fake memory sticks actually work (well if at all)?

I've seen countless memory cards on ebay with pictures of the the genuine thing and official model names sellin for outrageous prices. If I chose to invest in this 'authentic' card would I be making the right decision.

Please advise thanks.

12. ngc1672

ngc1672 Member

Just thought I'd post a possible solution to stuttering in game ISOs on mem sticks of 4 gig...

preamble: I have a 3.03OE firmware psp btw.

I was having a similar problem with Daxter - everything was fine in game, but the cutscenes in between were REALLY jerky and choppy - not good.

After putting up with it for a bit and trying a few different ISO's to no avail I ended reading a post somewhere (can't remember where so can't link to it sorry) that mentioned formatting the mem stick in windows as fat rather than the default fat32 might fix it. I had used my psp to format the 4 gig stick when I first received it...

The procedure I followed:

1) plug in and set psp to usb mode
    2) backed up everything on my card to a folder on my PC
    3) formatted my mem card in windows to fat (I had a look and it was formatted with fat32 according to windows) using the command in the command prompt (ie start -> run 'cmd'):
    format <drive letter of psp>: /fs:fat
    my drive letter is e so it would be format e: /fs:fat (if you do a help command on format you'll see the options eg format /?
    4) this takes a few minutes, it popped up a message box about using 64k clusters (which is correct as fat will only allow you to format a drive with up to 65k ish clusters - which on a 4 gig stick equates to around 64k per cluster) which i ok'd and then I gave it some random volume label (eg psp)
    5) copied back to the stick except the ISO dir
    6) copied back the daxter ISO first
    7) copied back a few other isos

This seems to have fixed my stuttering issues! Before when the video was stuttering the card access light was going nuts, now it barely flashes at all

Now... there are a few things I want to test before I would say this is a hard and fast solution, and also I would like to know what the issue is actually related to!:

1) Does formatting to fat32 with windows work as well - if so then there appears to be a potential issue with formatting the stick in the psp if it is 4 gb?
    2) If it doesn't work then... mebbe the psp doesn't like a card with a large amount of clusters...
    3) The solution could simply be "format the card in windows rather than on the PSP" which I am hoping is true as I would prefer to not be using 64k per cluster :) doesn't matter on big files, but if you have lots of small files on your psp then it is just a bit space inefficient...
    4) maybe the fact that I formatted the stick then copied only 44 meg back onto it then the ISO that I had been having issues with (daxter - 1.3gig) means that everything I have tested so far is within the first 2 gig of the mem stick. I am thinking about trying to make sure the ISO is in the last 2 gig of the stick... if this makes it stutter again then it could mean the psp doesn't like accessing data past the first 2 gig of the stick...

blah blah blah... summary - this fixed it for me, but I would like to know WHY it was stuttering before!! Hope this helps someone else!

Cheers :)

13. lpatrickl

lpatrickl Member

hi i had the same problem with jumpy games on my 4gig but all i did was to leave the games as isos and not shrink them to csos and it worked fine

14. Rvk11

Rvk11 Member

I can't format the card to a FAT file. It is stuck on FAT32. Can anyone help? I put 4 games on the memory stick but it only shows 2 games. If I check using windows...all the games are there. I am using firmware 3.02C. Would upgrading it fix the problem?

15. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

might be a fake card problem. try put a video file on it, and test it out on your computer. if it's corrupted, then your card is no good.

16. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Does anyone know if 8gb memory stick duo's are fully compatible with the PSP yet, and like ISO's and stuff?

17. Rvk11

Rvk11 Member

Yeah Videos don't work. I can't format to FAT file format. It only allows me to format to FAT32. I was hoping that I can format to FAT format and hoping problem would be fixed. I knew it was an OEM memory card and probably hacked but was hoping that it would work properly. I can put some ISO files on but is hit and miss if the game works..Oh well...good thing I didn't pay too much for it. I'll keep trying and give feedback if it works..Will try upgrading firmware and see.

18. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

If you bought your card recently, just ask seller for a return/exchange. I've done that a couple of times, and they all followed through.

19. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Yes, 8 gig cards do work on my friend's 3.10oe, and probably on all OE's. But it doesn't work on 1.5

20. holla2k

holla2k Member

Wow i had no idea 4gig cards were faulty. I just bought a fake 4gbms off ebay for 35$. I have 3.40 0E-A Do yall think i will have problems running isos/csos?? What about emulators videos and audios.