1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play PS1 Backups On PS2 With Swap Magic Guide!!!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nyc4life, Jan 19, 2007.

1. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Here's a guide for some of you people who are sad about not being able to play there PS1 backups on their PS2 with Swapmagic. Also I have seen quite a few threads with people asking about playing PS1 backups with Swapmagic and the replyer saying you can't.

Items Required:

PS2 Slim (Any Version Will Work)
    Magic Switch Pro (Tool E is required,Tool A, and Tool B)
    1 PS1 orriginal game disc (Any PS1 orriginal will work)
    You PS1 Backup

***You are NOT required to use or have either of the Swap Magic Discs!!!
    ***You are NOT required to have any type of modchip installed!!!

Ok before we begin make sure that your Magic Switch's are installed properly and working (Tools E, A, and B)

STEP-1

Budge tool E a little to the right just enough so that when you turn on your PS2 the laser doesn't move.

STEP-2

While keeping the PS2 lid open turn on your PS2. The laser should not move or activate. Now open the browser screen on the PS2.

(The Browser Screen is where you can veiw your Memory Cards etc.)

STEP-3

Now insert your PS1 orriginal game into the PS2.

STEP-4

Budge tool E left so that the laser begins moving and becomes active.

(The PS2 will now begin reading the orriginal PS1 game)

STEP-5

Now when you see the PS1 disc on the browser screen don't press it.
    Quickly but carefully remove the orriginal PS1 game and insert your PS1 backup. You should notice that the browser screen still shows the PS1 disc press it and your PS1 backup should now boot!

Hope you all have fun (~:

2. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Haha, nice tut nyc4life ;)

3. sinners

sinners Regular member

Nice guide... but doesn't the disc still spin when you're taking out the original PSX for the backup? Or am I missing something?

4. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

The disk doesn't spin continuously on the browser menu.
    If you have got a slimline ps2 with flip-top-lid, it works a charm.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  5. sinners

sinners Regular member

Ah, I see... Well I use another alternative, so I don't really know.

6. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Well thanks guys i would say u gave me pretty good feedback considering this is my first guide.

7. Brantis

Brantis Member

This works great..

But, on a 75001 Model...The disk DOES continue to spin, and you have to be very fast and careful when removing and replacing the disk...

I wish there was a way to disable this spinning...

Thank you for this guide though, as it helped me play my very first backup.

8. sunburstX

sunburstX Member

Best is to take out the disc carefuly, and the put in your disc with your finger through the ring. Push your finger on the round thing and slow it down, press the disc in with the rest of your hand.

9. hugeeuge

hugeeuge Member

I tried this using tape and tissues, and removing the one on the front of the ps2, not the one inside (tool e)

Oh, and I have a Japanese PS2-70000 model.

Using a Japanese copy of Parapa the Rapper, I was able to get a backup of Parapa the Rapper to load by the above method.

I have a backup of Castlevania SOTN (USA version) with me, but my SOTN original is in the US.

Using Parapa the Rapper, I can't get SOTN to load.

Is it cuz the SOTN backup is American? I am sure the SOTN disc is fine because it works on emulators.

Should I find a Japanese version of SOTN and back it up?

10. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Your best bet would be to buy the original japanese copy because your japanese ps2 cant play original US games

11. hugeeuge

hugeeuge Member

Right, but would it play a Japanese backup, if I didn't want to use my precious original after getting it?

12. Norefjell

Norefjell Guest

Holy hell man, this actually works! Thanks!

13. hugeeuge

hugeeuge Member

The answer is yes, so this method only works for in-region backups, not for ps1 imports or import backups....

14. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Right this swap only works if your swap using an original disc then the backup must be the same region as the original you used. If you want to play backups from a different region than yours you would either need to get a PS2 from that region, buy a Mod-Chip, or do the smart thing and buy Breaker Pro. (You could also try buying or downloading a copy of Gameshark for the PS1, also if you have the original of the other regions game it will work...

Example:

Say you have a USA region PS2 and want to play an original Japanese region PS1 game on it you will need to insert an original USA game then swap that with the original Japanese game.

OR

Say you have a USA region PS2 and want to play a backup of a Japanese region PS1 game on it you need to use a Mod-Chip or buy a copy of Breaker Pro.
    ***Gameshark not recommended because it has some problems when booting some games and does not always work.

15. Norefjell

Norefjell Guest

"Say you have a USA region PS2 and want to play a backup of a Japanese region PS1 game on it you need to use a Mod-Chip or buy a copy of Breaker Pro."

I have a USA region PS2 and right now I'm playing Fire Prowrestling G, a backup of a Japanese game. I used an American game to boot it. Slim PS2 btw.

16. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

OK thank you for confirming that for me.

17. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Maybe it is possible that certain games from other regions than your PS2 may not be compatible with this method.

18. shabong88

shabong88 Member

Nice Ad "nyc4life". To make life easier if you want to play a ps1 backup with no mod as well follow these steps.You can also use this for other reasons as well.

YOU NEED....
    -Slim PS2
    -Screwdriver
    -Good Tape

-You will have to open up your ps2 to find the 2 disc tray triggers so you will be able to open the PS2 tray while game play (cd Spinning)

FIRST TRIGGER
    -You'll have to open up your PS2 with the screwdriver (no biggie). Then you'll have to examine the inside of the PS2 very carefully and when you do you will see that on top of the GREEN LIGHT (power button)there is a black button. Press it to be sure. TAPE THIS DOWN with a little piece of tape. After you do make sure you press it down well enough that there are no air bubbles in between the tape and console.

SECOND TRIGGER
    -Examine the back of the opened ps2 carefully. You'll notice that there is a little, but noticeable, empty space. There is where you'll find your second Trigger. Its a puny circular black button.Again press it to be sure. TAPE IT DOWN and build you PS2 back together

I use it with swap magic and playing PS1 backups (with the ORIGINAL to BACK UP switch)This will save you some money instead of buying these "flip-tops" and other gadgets.

Hope you enjoy

19. nyc4life

nyc4life Guest

Yes, you have a very nice guide as well but next time could you post your guide in a new thread then post a link to it. This would make less clutter and have more room for people who actually need help or want to post a comment.

Thank You

20. danielntl

danielntl Member

i have new ps2 slim with modchip, but i cant play cd ps1 backup, please tell me how to get it work with out swap magic or swap switch which i dont have, but i have cd ps1 original?