1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLayback avi files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kardi03, Oct 8, 2003.

1. kardi03

kardi03 Guest

I have downloaded avi files and am trying to play them. I have all the codecs downloaded from the DIVX website(i tried their trial video and it works fine) I checked these files using GSPOT and they are complete, plus no codec error is reported. Still i cannot see the picture or hear sound when i play them in real player, DIVX player or winamp. No error messages are given in any of these players. Can someone please help me, what is the problem?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Use a reliable player like WinDVD or PowerDVD or even Windows Media Player!

3. kardi03

kardi03 Guest

I am using real player, doesnt work in it

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I wouldnt use Real Player to play anything if you paid me, lol where these files come from anyways?

5. kardi03

kardi03 Guest

what else shud i use, these files came from kazaa, there definately is something missing i just wanna know what it is. the 4cc code in gspot isnt 0 it is DX50/DIVX. in the audio format section under codecs it shows me :no audio channel" against name.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2003
  6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Which codecs have you downloaded from the divx site?

From the looks of the fourCC code, you need a divx codec. The newest one should suffice.

The problem could be because the index of the movie was somehow messed up either from downloading or some other factor.

Here's how you can fix that:

Load the video in virtualdubmod.

Go to the video menu and selct Direct Stream Copy.

Save Avi.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well.... then even if you get the audio working.... you wont hear much.

Also realize that people who place out fakes can change FourCC too! So it can really be a FourCC=0 and just chenged to look like DivX.

For a complete listing of almost every codec required to watch a movie and the order to install them in... pay a visit to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608