1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback Freeze-Ups

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by tomtruty, Dec 20, 2004.

1. tomtruty

tomtruty Member

Been having problems with freeze ups during playback for months. Using DVD Shrink with NERO to RIP DVDs and couldn't put my finger on the problem, since I used several different platforms and media. I just discovered however, that the problems I've been experiencing comes from paper labels. Apparently the labels shrink and cause the disk to dish toward the label side. The disks play fine at the beginning, then toward the end playback freezes up. Seems like the heat inside the drive somehow activates the shrinking and the disk may relax if you let them cool down and they play again. Proved the problem conclusively by tediously removing the labels from several problem disks and they played front to back without a hitch. You can easily see the dishing by lining up the straight edge of a piece of paper across the face of the disk. It's pretty dramatic, gaps of over 1/16". I have used 2 different styles of CD Stomper labels since I started using labels and both seem to cause dishing. Does anybody know of a good way to remove these awful labels? Will a heat gun damage the dye? Anyway, DON"T use Labels and certainly not CD Stomper!

2. tomtruty

tomtruty Member

Just saw the thread about removing labels with lighter fluid, will try ASAP. I don't agree that labels cause balance problems however. I removed the labels by scraping (didn't have anything to lose). The result was uneven glued surface which was surely less balanced than before I scraped it off, yet they played perfectly.

3. everglad

everglad Guest

Your problem is caused by two things. First this will happen if you use cheep media disks. Purchase only the best media. Second you must use only water based lables. NEATCO is the very best. www.mediaface.com.
    I have using part number 181264 with Ritex G04 media and have burned over two hundred DVD and have placed labels on all without any problems. To remove a bad label use only Lighter Fluid. It takes only a few minutes and leaves the surface clean of all glue.
    Wait a few minuter and place new label on the DVD.
    Hope this will help you, Robert