1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback freezes on standalone DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by flash70, Sep 16, 2004.

1. flash70

flash70 Member

I hope this is the right forum to post this thread, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a Plextor 708 DVD Burner and two stanalone DVD players - Toshiba and LG.
    When I download a DVD image from the Internet and burn it, I have no problem watching it on both stand alone DVD players.
    When I rip movies on my PC (using DVDshrink or CloneDVD2) and burn then with the same burner and media as mentioned above, I have problems watching them on my LG Player (The PC player and the Toshiba have no problems).
    When playing them on the LG, the image freezes every few minutes for a second or so or pixelates. The sound is not interrupted.

Do you have any ideas what causes this problem and how can I solve it ?

Thanks in advance :)

BTW - I'm using a Pentium 4 (2.4) PC with Windows XP SP2. NERO 6.3.1.20, DVDShrink 3.2.015.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It may be compatibility issue with your LG that's at fault. Try it on someone elses player just to broaden your test.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Quite ironic though, because out of the Toshiba and the LG, I would plum for the Toshiba giving read problems over the LG.

Is the LG an older unit than the Toshiba, ie had more use?
    Have you tried any firmware updates for the LG?

But just to ask - what brand media are you using?

If it is low quality, it may well be the reason..............

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Age could easily be the cause. I have an old JVC DVD player that works fine with rentals but it was made before or during the early stanges of DVDRs'.

5. flash70

flash70 Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, the LG is an older model than the Toshiba.
    I also assumed that it must be the reason, but it does not explain why DVDR images that I download from the web (ripped by someone else) and burned with the SAME BURNER on the SAME MEDIA have no problems when played on the SAME PLAYER.
    Is there something in the rip process that might cause this problems ?

I saw several posts mentioning that on WinXP the problem may be related to the IDE driver setting (PIO/DMA), I checked that and on my PC it's set to "DMA if available".

Any ideas ?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004