1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback jumps then stops half way through

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by umpalumpa, Nov 18, 2004.

1. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

I have copied a few copyrighted dvds using DVD Shrink then DVD Decryter and it never has a problem copying. I always close all other programs and just leave it to do its thing then when i come to play it back it goes up to about chaper 9 usually on most dvds then jumps badly then stops and errors come up. I am using Bulkpaq 8x dvd-r and have tried on different dvd players etc!

any help
    thanx
    dave

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. colw

colw Active member

Possibly poor quality media.

Try quality DVD media - Ritek or Verbatim recommended by many members of these forums. Do not use labels on burnt DVD's.

3. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

are bulkpaq ones crap then? wot do u use? do u ever have any problems with playback

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

umpalumpa,

colw is correct, it sounds like a media problem.

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes :>)

5. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

the thing is some dvds i have copyed have worked :S ill try some diff discs tho cant off that site tho coz im from england baby!!! will look for ritek and vertisememehehsfgfg ones

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

the thing is some dvds i have copyed have worked

Therein lies the inconsistency issue I was talking about. Some will work while others don't. Do me a favor, use dvdinfopro and tell me what it says about your media.

Even if this doesn't solve the problem, we have eliminated media as a possible problem and then can work from there to correct the situation :>)

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

vertisememehehsfgfg ones

?????????

8. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

i meant verbatim. erm ok ive downloaded dvdinfopro wot info do u want to know?

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Put in one of your media, and see what the manufacturer is.

10. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

u mean the blank disc im copying onto coz i already said im using bulkpaq ones

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I don't care what the brand is, I want to know what the manufacturer is. Put in your blank media and let dvdinfopro read the media in that drive and see what the manufacturer is. Or not.

12. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

jeez im a newbie take it easy. thats y im askin in a newbie forum. the manufacturer says TYG02 which i dunno wot that means either

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You were the one that "reminded me" you'd already told me what they were, so I was leaving it up to you whether you wanted to do it or not. I didn't notice anyone saying anything that required a "take it easy", I was just leaving the decision up to you....

Anway, TYG02 stands for Taiyo Yuden, which is normally an excellent brand of DVD, one of the best, tho very expensive. Unfortunately the ones by Bulkpaq could very well be a fake.

Check out this thread, one of the distributors admits they are fake:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105523

Then pay particular attention to this post in that thread and check out the URL at cdfreaks.com:

Yes PieMan I know they are shown with media code as TY, but they are still fakes if they are datawrite, "bulkpaq", or budget... Have a look at this forum as well... http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103828

Sooo...your media could very well be your problem. One guy had 9 bad ones out of 9 in a pack of 25 before he sent them back.

I'm not saying for sure it's your media, but your problems are classic bad media symptoms. You might want to get some branded Riteks here, they are under .50 each with free shipping for +R or -R.:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

14. umpalumpa

umpalumpa Member

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

umpalumpa,

I would go with the Ritek G04 4x -R or G05 8x -R, but never burn over 4x. You can still burn the 8x at 4x, I have heard the newest G04's have a new dye, I prefer the purple dye which the G05 still has.

If you can burn +R I highly recommend the Ritek Ridata 4x +R.

Try to buy the BRANDED ones no matter what you get, they are only a couple of cents higher and well worth the peace of mind knowing you are getting what you're buying. Stay away from the orange ones for sure!

BTW, did you notice the disclaimer on the Taiyo Yuden discs?

The Taiyo Yuden discs sold by SVP are genuine Taiyo Yuden bought from an official Taiyo Yuden distributor.
    Please note that there are many vendors selling discs with a TY media code that are not genuine Taiyo Yuden discs.

Also, did you see how much more expensive they are than the ones you bought that were supposed to be TY's?

I would send those bulkpaq back and demand my money back, most reputable companies will comply :>)

I don't see any BRANDED riteks for +R or -R. Is this the only place you have to buy them? There is a thread here in AD that deals with media in the UK, the best prices, brands, etc. They do have Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden at your site, but I couldn't afford to do too many at those prices. Let me check and see what I can come up with. You might want to use the search functionn here in AD for that thread I was refering to.

You should be able to get Branded Riteks for around .50 to .60 each.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, I just googled for branded ritek UK media and there were dozens of sites. Found this one in 2 minutes, you might want to check around but here is what you are after.

http://ww.digitalpromo.co.uk/x862.html

It took a couple of minutes to load from code to text and pictures but that could've been my browser or something.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004