1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback Problem Desperate

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by phoenix11, Sep 25, 2005.

1. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

Ok here's my problem and it's really starting to p.m.o. I have a new computer because my last one got stolen. I mainly use it to download and burn tv episodes.
    When I watch the file on my computer everything works fine.
    After I burn the file/s and play them on my standalone dvd player I get ' jumps ' during playback. e.g. the timer shows 21m10secs. then all of a sudden the playback jumps to 23m40secs. and try as I can I can't rewind to view the missing footage which is not really missing I just can't view it. If I rewind till just after the error the dvd jumps to 29m30secs and I need to rewind twice as much data. I just can't get it to work. I have tried burning with Nero Dvd Santa and SonicMyDVD but I still get the error although they are in DIFFERENT places.
    So is it my driver which I have uninstalled and reinstalled or what?
    It really annoys me now and I am desperate for some help.
    Has anyone had this problem and if so, did you fix it and , if so, HOW???
    Thank You

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

are you using cheap media?
    what speed are you burning at?
    whats the O/S?
    Do you get any error messages?

3. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

I'm using Verbatim Data Life Plus DVD-R and also Tevion DVD-R which both say 1-8 speed.
    I'm burning at 4x speed but I would prefer to burn at 2x speed but don't know how to configure that or if it's possible.
    I'm using Windows XP Home.
    There are no error messages. It's always burn successful.
    As well as the ' jumps ' there are also audio/ video sync problems although I don't know if these are related.
    Can you help me?
    I will take whatever advice you can provide and apply it.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

what are you using to encode ?
    what type of files are you using?

5. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

The files I am using are .avi files of TV eps. downloaded.
    I tried to encode with nero, writing the files to the hard drive instead of my usual burn at once.
    The file downloaded is perfect, but I have just discovered that the encoded file is corrupt, so at least I know that it's not a burn problem.
    Something in the encoding process is stuffing up the file.
    I also tried using DVD Santa and SonicMyDVD which also encode files and I seem to have the same problem with them.
    Surely all the software I am using can't be corrupt. Could it be something in my system?
    I could try another encoder but if those three don't work it may be something other than that.
    I look forward to your feedback.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

avi??????????/

well the encoders that you mention are ok but i would like you to do 2 things for me.

The first thing is download avicodec and run your file through it and post the results for all to see.

[​IMG]

next i want you to download the free version of vso divx to dvd from the link below:

http://www.filepedia.com/video_software/dvd-r_tools/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

Ok next use this converter as it works for me quite well.After the conversion process, explain to me in steps how you burn to disc.

Also can you describe your current pc stats?

See how you go and if need be i'll get some of the others to help as well

7. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

OK my PC stats are
    compaq presario amd athlon 64 processor 3200+ 1.99ghz, 512mb ram.
    xp home edition and service pack 2.
    In my total frustration with this problem I used my PC's recovery tool and reinstalled windows. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I would lose my files so the avi files I wanted to burn are gone and I'm going to have to re-download some more. About 98% of the tv episodes I download from bittorrent sites are .avi files.
    I have downloaded the 2 tools you recommended and as soon as I download Lost again I will use these tools and give you some feedback, in the next day or so.
    Thanks again and will talk again soon.

8. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

Video : 310 MB, 1038 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 624*352 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Unsupported File : 349 MB (349 MB), duration: 0:41:46, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 52 % Audio : 39 MB, 130 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Not quite sure what I'm doing here but is this the info. you need.
    I also did the vso thingy and it had these video error dropouts plus it said there was a delay in the audio of 420mS. I don't know how to post that info. to here though.
    Does this help at all?

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

looking at the file divx to dvd should accomodate you fine.The conversion should be fine but now i need to know what else are you doing during the conversion period and the speed you are burning at.

As encoding is relatively resource hungry, if you are doing other things like surfing the net or playing games or even listening to music, these things can interrupt the normal flow and then your computer has to reallocate resources to cover.So instead of getting 100% all for encoding.You might find 30% is encoding, 33% for music,37% is for playing games.But by doing this you are not being able to get the best possible outcome and errors start to creep in, as the data flow is interrupted.

i'm not concerned just yet with the error dropouts as i get them as well but i dont have the same issues of skips and freezes.

Have you upgraded the firmware?
    is there a possibility that the discs are fake?
    Can you get one ritek disc and see how you go with them?

10. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

I tried to update the firmware but apparently my drive doesn't exist. It's a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4166B and on the outside it says Lightscribe DVD writer CD writer. I'm pretty sure the disks are OK. I live in Australia and I've never seen a Ritek. The most popular ones here are TDK. I will get a TDK and see how that goes.
    There is one very interesting thing I noticed though. Before I did the PC Recovery thing Nero was showing that my write speeds were 4x and 8x.
    After the PC Recovery and a reinstall of Nero the speeds are from 1x and 2x. I wonder why that is.
    The other thing that you were right about is the surfing the net, playing pinball and listening to music while encoding. I do that a lot and I was doing it last week. I will just do the encode/burn on its own next time and see if it makes any difference.
    Your advice is terrific and I thank you again for your time and patience in helping me. I just hope I can do the same for someone one day.
    Anyway I will try your advice and let you know what happens. That Nero drive speed thing does concern me. Is there a way of testing the drive speed so that you know the supported speeds for sure?

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Thats bizzarre.Where abouts in australia are you.

I live in melbourne ,well the other side that is in Geelong.
    Ritek discs are common every where as long as you are getting them from actual computer places or swap meets.

Places like harvey norman, myers etc will charge you an arm and a leg for them.

You should be able to pick up 50 riteks for about $23.TDK arent the most popular? princo's are !!!

12. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

I live in Sydney and the Princo's I have bought have all been unreadable on my drive. Terrible!!!!!!!!! But, I will keep an eye out for Ritek because I have never seen them and I do go to Harvey Norman and Big W which have a terrific range but as far as I can see, no Ritek, so this will be my next challenge. FIND RITEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

ok we have cut the surfing and all other activity and now are concentrating on just burninG.

lET me know if we get a success now.

14. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

Ok The problem is still there with the audio/video sync. I burned 4 files I just downloaded with Nero Express. All 4 are perfect when played on my computer but,after burning and about 12mins. into the first file, the audio goes out of sync. This NEVER used to happen with my old computer that got stolen. I am doing everything the same as before except for 2 things.
    1. this is a new computer
    2. the client I used to download with on my old computer is different to the one I'm using now. The first was ' connectable ' with everything but when I got the new computer and installed the old client I became ' unconnectable ' which never happened b4. So I downloaded a new client, configured my router, firewall and ports and became ' connectable '. I have no idea why I became 'unconnectable ' to my old client.

Besides those 2 pointa I am doing everything the same as I did before.
    Is there anything else you can help me with, please?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

theres an app i want you to get called dvd identifier:
    software description:
    'DVD Identifier' retrieves and interprets the pre-recorded information that is present on all DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW and DVD-RAM media. This information contains a variety of parameters such as disc manufacturing information and supported write speeds. Even though this information is usually printed on the packaging, the brand name may differ from the actual manufacturer or sometimes there might not even be any packaging information at all.

To Summarize : 'DVD Identifier' offers a reliable method of accurately identifying the disc's REAL manufacturer.

ant to make sure the discs you are using are actually right and not fakes

16. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

DVD Identifier. What an excellent tool. Thanks.
    OK, The Tevion discs I got from ALDI'S came up as Daxon Technology Inc., whoever they are and the Verbatim Data Life Plus came up as Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. as the manufacturer. But what does it all mean?
    Anyway, I have some more news.
    The first file of the 4 files I burned to disc this morning had an audio sync from about the 12th minute even though the pre-encoded file was perfect. Now, bear in mind that I used Nero, DVD Santa and MyDVD previously to encode and I got errors, although you will recall I said they were in different places.
    I have just now put that very same file through the VSO DivxtoDVD program that you recommended and voila, no sync problem that I can tell.
    I haven't burned it again yet but I am just a little bit excited. The question that then remains is why did 3 of the best encode/burning software programs fail? Maybe we'll never know but I will try the VSO a few more times before I really start pogoing.
    Just remember that my problems were before burning so the discs are probably OK but if I burn this newly encoded perfect file and the sound is out of sync. I will definitely get different discs.
    I will give you an update soon.
    But, why would 3 different encoders produce flawed results.
    Also, I don't really know how to get info. from the AVI Codec except from what I already gave you. Does it tell you if the file mis flawed or out of sync.
    Also with the divxdvd dvd converter, what does this mean and should I be concerned?
    There were several messages that read ' MSG Level #0 header damaged.
    Also ' due to frame rate conversion 15436 frames have been duplicated" and also ' due to frame rate conversion 1 frames have been dropped and lastly, 'delay of audio #0=420mS?
    Talk soon
    Steven

17. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I'm sure all those programs you tried would of worked if you hadnt been surfing during the process but we wont know unless you repeat the process with them.

Ok now dont get cocky.What are you using to burn.You have nero, did you want to try another app or are you happy with this one.I would suggest you upgrade to recode only as i use this to burn and if there is a prob, creaky is more than happy to lend a hand interpreting th log file if trouble rears its ugly head.

we will worry about this later if the problems persist.nOW make sure you burn at 4xd maximum and that your discs are at least 4 times.We might have to do a couple and alter the speed to slow it down until we can get it right.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

creaky's on standby :)

19. phoenix11

phoenix11 Member

Ok here's the latest. I burned another 4 avi files with nero vision express 3 and once again, from the 3rd file to the end of the 4th file everything was out of sync and actually got worse as playback continued.
    The reason I loved Nero so much is because all I had to do was add files and press burn. I didn't know anything about encoding and separate encoding tools. Nero was all-in-one. I have now uninstalled my complete Nero programs i.e. burning rom + vision express and have also uninstalled DVD Santa. You said there was another application I could use to burn so can you tell me what that is please because right now I have nothing. I will use that divxtodvd to encode and your recommended app. to burn.
    I guess different computers like different programs. My old computer loved Nero but apparently this one doesn't. I just need to accept it and go with something else.
    Welcome Creaky to our discussion. As you andmerr and I have been trying to solve my problem. Any additional input from you is most welcome.
    Just summarizing.
    The files as downloaded are perfect but after encoding with nero, dvdsanta and mydvd, all files were out of sync. The only time a file has not gone out of sync is when I used the divxtodvd converter which, despite having some strange messages as outlined above, produced a perfect copy of the file.
    I just find it hard to fathom how those other 3 programs produced errors and the divxtodvd not. I suppose I should be grateful that there is at least one encoder out there that works on this computer but it's still all a bit of a mystery and I'm hoping there's not something that's actually preventing those other programs from functioning properly.
    Anyway my next step is to run those 4 files through the divxto dvd converter and then I will wait to hear from you as to which burning program I can use.
    Thank you so much, guys for your patience and willingness to help me.
    It's been great and much appreciated.
    Talk soon
    Steven ( phoenix11 )

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

how did you uninstall nero?
    When you had nero installed, was INCD part of the package?