1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback problems on stand-alone DVD players.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bert213, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bert213

bert213 Member

Hello all,

I have had a 95% burn success rate with DVD Shrink. I also have a 100% playback rate using my Pioneer stand-alone DVD player. However...other stand-alone players in my home have playback issues, such as Fisher and Apex products.

Am I using bad media (Memorex dvd+r,other cheap dvd+r discs). or bad software techniques with dvd-shrink. currently, I am compressing the disc to 4.3gb. This is in fear that it won't be able to burn over this limit. BTW, what is the limit per standard dvd disc.

HELP!!!

2. p5yco

p5yco Guest

hi, the playback issues could be down to the fact that some older players find it very difficult to read this type of media. also i have found that dvd-r discs are slightly more compatible than dvd+r.

3. ferg1234

ferg1234 Guest

99% of my DVD+R or DVD-R disks play on my old, non-progressive Pioneer DVD player and my new JVC player. But if I take them to a friend with a high end Samsung DVD player it produces artifacts. I then re-burned a movie with No Compression and it worked fine on his Samsung. I assume the chip used in the Samsung has problems decoding compressed movies.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The limit of a dvdr is a little over 4400 mbs. Those discs state 4.7 gigs,but by the time you translate those conversions,4.4 gigs is about all you can get on them.

Compressing your movies to fit 4.3 gigs?
    4300 mbs is an ideal target,especially if using poorer media. I use good media and keep my target at 4360 mbs.This will keep that burn from reaching the outer edge of the disc. That outer edge is where uneven dye may exist in poor media.

Using a lot of compression can cause stand alone playability like your friend's player.

Memorex,other cheap dvd+r discs? Avoid these, this is likely your problem. Many poor manufacturers make those memorex discs. Unless you know which ones are the good ones,like prodisc,the the chances of getting c-mags are high.

Get some taiyo yuden or maxell.Very reliable.

You can use this handy free program to check out the codes on your blank media: http://afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It's just your media. Had the same problem with 2 of 5 of my players when using ProdiscS03 (Memorex DVD-R 4x), and PRINCO 2X, (CompUSA crap). Yes, hanging my head in shame for not knowing any better back then!

But that was back then. Now, with good media, no problems at all.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. NeoRio

NeoRio Member

Hey Bert, yesterday, I encountered a problem where the discs that I burned using DVD shrink wouldn't play back, and as a result, I came to the conclusion that DVD shrink is not the greatest program to use for buring files to disc, but anyway, after fooling around with DVD shrink and DVD Decrypter, I thought that I would shrink the files with DVD shrink and burn them with DVD decrypter, and since doing so, I haven't encountered a single problem with my discs playing back, so maybe you could eliminate your problem as well if you take the steps that I've been taking, which are as follows.

First of all, download DVD Decrypter if you don't have it. Next, open your dvd up in DVD shrink, select backup, then select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD decryter" from the "Select backup target" drop down menu. Once the files are through burning to your hard drive as an ISO image file, DVD Decrypter will open up and you can then begin burning the files to a disc. Hope that this helps.

7. bert213

bert213 Member

But, doesn't DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink both use the Nero burn engine that I have installed?

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bert, dvd decrypter and nero are 2 of the most popular burn engines for dvd shrink.

Here's several combinations:

Rip with dvd shrink,compress, and burn with nero
    Rip with dvd shrink,compress,burn with decrypter.
    Rip with dvd decrypter,if small enough-iso mode,burn with dvd decrypter
    Rip with dvd decrypter in file mode,compress it with shrink,burn with decrypter.
    Rip with decrypter-file mode,compress with shrink,burn with nero.

It's always handy to have a few different programs to rip and burn to help with issues.The shrink/nero combo usually works 95% of the time for me,reauthored or entire disc.Anydvd running in the background also help shrink out.
    Did you ever get those manufacturing codes from your blank media. Dvd decrypter and dvdidentifier will tell you that code.
    Dvdinfopro is another program to get that code and also has a program to scan those backups for errors,download the free version here: http://dvdinfopro.com

Dvdinfopro may tell you the free trial expired,but download it anyways,I just did on my backup pc last night.It's a very handy proggy.

9. mcbit

mcbit Member

Hi Guys, I'm new here and I hope you can help!!

I'm having the same problem too!! I have in the past been using DVDFab to back up my DVD9s to single DVD5s. The results have been great when the discs copied are standard movies, however the quality drops of dramatically when copying season discs due to the additional compression necessary. I generally write to DVD+RW to check the quality before doing a final burn. From DVDFab these RWs always play on all of my players.

After I came on this forum I discovered DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink and thought i'd give them a go.

The problem is now,
    DVDDecrypter rips disc to hard disc no problem
    I run a 2 pass shrink and produce an iso file no problem
    When I burn the iso file to the +RW media the disc will only play on my Samsung P246M. On the other machines it will not even load.

...So I run DVDFab on the hard disk files produced by DVDDecrypter and the resulting +RW plays in all my machines.

I want to persist with DVDShrink as the quality of the final DVD after 2 pass encoding is far superior to that produced by DVDFab.

I have tried reducing output file size to 4.1GB in DVDShrink and this has improved matters in that the disc will now load but still suffers from stuttering and eventual death from around 2/3 of the way through the disc.

My conclusions so far.

No mismatch of media and player as success guaranteed with DVDFab
    No problem with the file output from DVDDecrypter as DVDFab succesfully burns those.
    No problem with the burning software as both Nero and Roxio suffer the same fate.
    No problems with the drives as they consistenly produce good result with iso files produced with other software.
    The problem lies with iso file output from DVDShrink.

Any known issues? I'm using version 3.2

I've now discovered that if I burn the DVD+R/RW media with Nero directly from inside DVDShrink then the final disc will play in all my players. The only reason i can see for this is "Burn at least 30mm (+R high compatibility mode)" setting in DVDShrink's Burn Settings.

Is there any way I can set this externally to DVDShrink with any other buring software??

I'd like the option to be able to save to ISO rather than an immediate burn!