1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Nik1234, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Nik1234

Nik1234 Member

i have been burning dvds for ages now. i recently bought prinatble dvds to burn and found out that the playback was rubbish (certain points just froze and crashed my computer). so i then went back to the dvds that i used to burn with and now i am having the same problems..i.e. it seems to burn fine, and then when i want to watch it, some points in the film just freeze. annoying th ehell out of me!! i am doing everything i used to do.can any one help??
    thanks

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

What brand of DVD's are you using, both regular and printable? How much compression are you using when making your backups? Do you use DVD Shrink AEC controls and advanced analysis? Is your firmware up to date on your burner? How fast are you burning?

3. Nik1234

Nik1234 Member

hi i am using traxdata dvd-r 4.7 g (the ones i was using before which i know works). i have stopped using printable dvds.
    Compression- i am doing full disks back up
    i am using the standard analysis, i am not sure what aec controls are?
    how do i find out if my firmware is up to date with my burner?
    i am burning at 8x

everything i doing is the same as i used to. i havnt changed anything. all of a sudden this problem just happened

4. LOCOENG

Not a recommended brand for this very reason. Non mainstream brands will use different manufacturers to make their discs so the quality may differ from spindle to spindle and in some cases the quality control will do the same from disc to disc. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden yield the highest degree of compatability and quality.

As above, the brand could be your problem. I use printable media for 95% of my backups and haven't experienced any problems based on using this type of disc.

Typically a full backup with menus and special features will be anywhere from 6 gigs to 8 gigs. That leaves alot of work for DVD Shrink to go through in order to give you a quality backup. I prefer to backup the movie only as I always have the original to watch the special features if I need to.

The AEC controls help clean up the video if high levels of compression are being applied, thus trying to remove the digital artifacts left behind during this process. They are found under the Quality tab once hitting the backup button from the main screen of DVD Shrink. I would also use the Advanced Analysis feature.

Give us the model number and current firmware version and we can help you find the right/new firmware for you. Download Imgburn if you don't already have it and select Mode -> write. Put a disc in the drive and wait for the information in the right side window to refresh, copy and paste all that information here in this thread.

5. Nik1234

Nik1234 Member

Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH NH61 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 3,577,840
    Size: 7,327,416,320 bytes
    Time: 795:06:40 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
    Session 1...
    -> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 3577839)
    -> LeadOut (LBA: 3577840)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-ROM
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,236,943
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,157,359

Layer Information:
    Layer 0 Sectors: 1,960,752 (54.8%)
    Layer 1 Sectors: 1,617,088 (45.2%)

thanks a lot for all your help

6. LOCOENG

Don't thank me just yet, I can't find any firmware updates for your drive. Another note, especially with this being a laptop...no multitasking, this will increase your success rate as well as decrease the strain on your PC. That is an original disc you put in the drive too, correct? I wouldn't mind seeing what the traxxdata discs code as if you could put a blank in and repaste that information.

7. Nik1234

Nik1234 Member

yes i am using original disks. the laptop is practically band new so im sure the driver will be up to date.
    ill repaste the information after this test dvd has finished burning
    thanks

8. LOCOENG

I did find your drive as listed stock in an HP laptop, but it is the most current version. Typically they don't release updates very often for slim drives. I would try the quality controls mentioned with DVD Shrink and see if that improves your situation, if not you may need to switch brands of media. Good luck and happy burning.