1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

player stopped reading disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by blackjet, Mar 24, 2005.

1. blackjet

blackjet Guest

I purchased an inexpensive cyberhome dvd player that played any format I put in it until last weekend. It will no longer play any dvd-r I now copy but will play anything copied previously. I am using the same blank media as in the past and I even tried diffrent media.I burn - R @ 4x using shrink and nero and they play fine on my 3 other players. Why would a player suddenly stop reading copied discs.

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey blackjet,

No reason really...unless the disk/burn is compromised.

I would say try this method.

DVD Decrypter w/ AnyDVD --->Shrink ---> Nero.

Also, if you are using Nero, make sure it is on the slowest burn speed to test it out. Sometimes that is the case.

Hope this info serves you well!

;)

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Even though you're using the same brand media, that doesn't mean it's the same media. Memorex, for example, has about 10 companies making their disks. To the naked eye, they look identical, but closer examination with a dvd info tool reveals otherwise.

Download DVD Identifier from the software section of this website. Check your previous burns that work on the dvd player to see who actually made those disks. Then check the new media that doesn't work in your dvd player and see who actually made those. I'd almost be willing to bet that they are made by different companies.

When I first started on this website, I thought "TDK is TDK, Memorex is Memorex, and Fuji is Fuji." Boy, was I sadly mistaken. I have since checked my older media against my newer media. Some Memorex were good quality. Other was CMC crap. Some TDK were good and some were CMC crap. All of the Sony was good quality. My favorite disks are the Verbatim digital movie reel disks. They're MCC. Sometimes, I'll run DVD Identifier on them just so I can smile when I see the letters MCC.

MCC is probably the best media out there according to most people I've discussed this with.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
  4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Pretty good response!

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well sadsac, I ain't going to give you a bashing for that response..................top banana......

6. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I have experiance with 2 cyberhome dvd players, One was never played alot and it still works fine the other was played alot for some reason it stoped playing DVD's but it would play a cd fine (VCD). I took it apart and cleaned laser lens this did not help.
    It's a hardware problem in player probally the decoder chip. My guess your player is going on the blink. Personally I like APEX for a good cheap player they seem to play any thing you throw in them. I replaced that cyberhome with a Apex #1100, seems to work well But is is not as good as my Apex #2500. The 2500 has played some disks that the 1100 would not.

With that said, I agree with sadsac sounds like media issues. Since your able to play older dvd's just not the ones you have burned recently.

Good Luck

Spacedust

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah...Apex's are like TOTALLY cheap!

Only $20 around my way.

;)

8. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Thanks for the great responses but this still has me stumped. I have tried four diffrent brands of media including verbtim (I like them a lot too)but no current copies will play. I tried them in an identical player owned by a friend that is brand new with same results. It played older copies I made but not the recently burned copies.This is no major problem because I have other players but I am trying to see the logic in why one model of player would stop reading copied discs. I tried burning @ 4x and 2x with same results.

Thanks everyone.

9. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Got to be the player's laser going on the blink IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2005
  10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Have you tried matching the exact same media code of media. You said only the new disks you have tried don't work and the old ones do. The only true test may be try to find the exact same media code of the disks that work and try burning them. You also said your using the same blank media but is it the same media code, Sadsak is right on the money. I try to find what works best with my burner. LOW PI errors and LOW PI failures, I've found if you can keep the total number of errors and failures low. You will have less problems with settop players. Found a interesting statistic at cdrinfo about settop dvd players -R plays in 97%, +R plays in 87%.

Good Luck

Spacedust

11. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Yes.I took the tip from Sadsac and installed DVD Identifier (nice little tool)and the media codes are the same. Is there anything in nero or shrink that I could have adjusted over the last week that would burn a disc diffrently and possibly cause it not to play on a cetain player?

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

You can reinstall nero and shrink should take you back to factory defaults. If all of these -R disks your burning play on everything but this cyberhome player. Sounds like the player to me. Just for kicks try running one of your previously burned disks threw the New version of dvd decrypter ISO Read then ISO write.
    You have an odd problem!!

Good Luck

Spacedust

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

blackjet

Can you post the media code of those disks here?

Are they PRINCO or ProdiscS03?

14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Sounds very odd. This is what you've told us:

1 - The player plays the old stuff you burned but not the new stuff you're burning.

2 - You're using the EXACT same media as before.

3 - You tried the old and new burns on your friend's EXACT same dvd standalone player with the same results.(this may be the key)

4 - You've also tried three other brands of media, each giving the same results.

The only other things we may need to know are: Do the current burns play in your other players you said you had, and have you changed encoding software or version recently?

I feel that if everything else has stayed the same - same software version, same dvd burner, same standalone player, same media, etc., that only leaves one answer......your burner's going out! If the current burns do play in your other players, I'd say that for some reason, your burner may not be producing the same quality burns as before.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2005
  15. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

@sadsac

Man, bought time you got in this thread...did you get lost?

LOL!

16. blackjet

blackjet Guest

The newly burned discs play fine on all of my other players. I did update DVD Decrypter in the last few weeks. The media I am using is Fujifilm DVD -R with the code: prodiscfo1

New twist. I backed up a disc with the same media on DVD x copy platinum and it plays fine in the player in question. I will try and reinstall nero and shrink this weekend.

Thanks

17. blackjet

blackjet Guest

By the way. I have over 400 burns (movie back ups) on my burner. How long do they last ? I am sure it depends on the manufator.

18. sadsac

sadsac Guest

What brand of burner do you have?

Also, have you recently installed software on your system (i.e. Just before you started having problems)?

Re-installing both Nero and Shrink should do the trick, but if you have some other type of packet writing software on your system such as Direct CD, you may have a software conflict. Be sure you haven't inadvertantly installed something like this because it can interfere with Nero.

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Blackjet

I used to use cheap PRINCO media from CompUSA and also ProdiscS03 which was actually Memorex DVD-R 4X a couple of years back. Before checking the burns everything seemed fine except for this problem. My wife’s Dell 5100 Laptop with a combo CD Burner/DVD-Rom, a SAMSUNG 16X TS-H352A DVD-ROM drive and a portable DVD 8" DVD Player would not play the PRINCO or ProdiscS03 Media, but our other burns using Sony or Legacy media did. Our other DVD-ROM’s and DVD Players worked fine with the PRINCO’s and ProdiscS03’s. You are looking at several variables here and I just wanted to include this in the mix. Sometimes we can overlook the obvious and like stated previously, not all media, even if it was from the same manufacturer is always going to be the same based on vendors used by them.

20. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Problem resolved. I reinstalled nero and dvd shrink and the copies I now make play on the cyberhome unit in question. I must have adjusted a setting causing the programs to burn discs diffrently. I tried burning several media and they all played fine. I am still curious as to how setting everything back to default fixed the problem.

I could have just used my other players or bought a new unit, but trying to figure this out has taught me a few things. Thanks everyone for your help and input.