1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

player won't load after using dvdxcopy platinumv3.2.1

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigdaydad, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

Have new Dell p4 3.4 1g ram 800mhz with philips dvd+- rw dvd8631. Burned a "-" disc and tried to play in a toshiba dvd. It would notload but it would play in my computer.I used ritek4x, piodata4x and neither loaded in the toshiba.Platinum said that burn was successful.Ihave used these brands before with the toshiba dvd with 100% load and play. At first I thought that region code might be wrong so i put dvd43 v.4.3.0.0 in background,burned with platinum-Same results.Had a 1 year old dell with about the same specs except I put in a pioneer A07 burner and used the "-" discs with my toshiba dvd player.It always worked. I have been reading your forums and some messages say put xcopy to rest. I like it for its simplicity and I'm not sure I want to go the decrypter-shrink route just yet. I am a first time forum user and hope this is the correct place to ask for ideas on why my copies won't load . I hope you will suggest possible solutions with xcopyplatinum. Thankyou for your time

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

toshiba players aren't very compatible. I would try a different program like DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (both free).

I have an RCA player that will not play any backups made w/ XCopy .. but it will play backups make by other backup software.

3. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hello,

I have used DVDXCOPY, Express & Plat when I first began burning DVD's. It is easy to use but displays the 321 message at the start of the backup.

I now use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 because it's easy, user friendly, can burn Dual Layer disc's and it gets around the new copy protection. I have tested the results on many home DVD players and have yet to find one that it will not work on. Panasonic DVD players are very fussy & the copies work 100%.

I'll give you the link and you can download the full working trial versions for 21 days.

Have a try and I'm sure you will be impressed.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Have fun and let us know waht you think!

4. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

FLIP 218 :Thanks for the quick response. What brand(s) of "-" players would you recommend that seem to be more compatible with Patinum?

5. offset

offset Regular member

Any of the cheaper brands will most often play burned movies. I have found that Apex, Sanyo, RCA, and Cyberhome (to name only a few) seem to play burned movies quite well. Toshiba is well known for not being "burned movie" friendly. I have 3 friends that bought Toshiba DVD players, and all three went out and bought cheap dvd players and shit-canned the Toshiba.

6. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

OFFSET: Thanks. Here I come WALLY world!Your ideas are confirmed by some friends who say the cheaper players seem to work well. Technically, I am concerned about the quality of the audio and video dac's.In reading the specs on the cyberhome ,for example , I find they are of an inferior output to some of the more xpesive units......which then says i mite just as well record backups to a vcr? Your thoughts??

7. offset

offset Regular member

The DVD is always going to look better than VHS back-ups (if I got the meaning of your post correctly). Cyberhome is the "low low...low" end of DVD players. I paid 60-70 for my Sanyo at Wal-Mart, and it plays everything but VCD's (although I'm not sure about MP3's...never tried those). As far as picture and sound go, it seems to be doing quite well. Good luck at Wallyworld, and don't spit on the Greeter when he waves to you.

8. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

offset:: HA!HA! Have you heard of anyone who owns a samsung or a sony(This one supposedly plays +,-)?these guys have better specs though more dough.I mite be willing to spring for the xtra dough if i new they were player friendly to most burners and to x/copy platinum. Thanks again for your thoughts.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Bigdaydad,
    Why don't you save your money and download DVD Shrink And Decrypter (both free) and much more up to date than Xcopy. You got a new computer now you need to upgrade to the better programs for copying, and frankly right now everything else is better than Xcopy now. No need to buy a new DVD player if you back up your DVD's using Shrink and Decrypter (unless of course you want to use that as an excuse) ;-)

10. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

bbmayo: Thanx for the push in no doubt the correct direction.My issues were two: I copied Hunt for red october on my other high end dell in which I installed a pioneer ao7 burner. I was trying to understand why the same movie with the same player with the same blank which seemingly burned alright in my new dell (which came with a philips 8631 burner) would not load in my player.You can see this movie is far from the newer encryptions I am reading about.Secondly I wanted a QUICK way to backup my library of around 50 discs. I do thank all who have made a genuine effort to make me see the light and have spent your time . I just don't think I have had a good answer to my loading problem.

11. flip218

I can only speak for what I have. My XBox and Magnavox dvd players would play backups made by XCopy.

If I were you I would use other methods of backing up movies. never had playback problems w/ backups made by Shrink, Recode, CloneDVD2.

12. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

FLIP218:I saw the light. I took many peoples advice to use shrink and decrypter and got a successful burn but, alas, I get the same problem as when I used platinum ----player won't load. I guess the problem must be the philips burner or the dvd player. Since you have had luck with magnavox player I might look at it and perhaps find out if it is the burner. Does this make sense to you?...and again,thanks for providing a direction.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. flip218

I would take your backups in question and test them on some players.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

bigdaydad,
    It could just possibly be the media you are using is not compatable with your stand alone player this is not unushual. You could give another brand a try or even try +R's. Not all Ritek's are created equal :)

Could be your DVD player just don't like copy's anymore. Have you tried the disks in a different player? A buddies or something?

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Flip beat me to it :)

If those disks work in other players then the problem is with your player ;-)

Good news is you can pick up a cheap one from WalMart for $30-$40 that will play anything you throw in them ;-)

16. bigdaydad

bigdaydad Member

To all who gave incite:
    Thanks!! On your recommendations, I have purchased an inexpensive dvd which loads and plays All the variety of test discs (some with platinum and some with your recommended Decrypter-Shrink technique).And perhaps in the near future I will need to upgrade to AnyDvD if I want to back up some of my future dvd purchases which may contain some of the newer copy guard protection. But,for now, I am grateful for ALL YOUR HELP.

17. maniac333

maniac333 Member

I am having a similar problem. My backups will play on my CyberHome, but not on my more expensive DVD player. I can go buy another CyberHome for my other room to replace the more expensive DVD player, but what if I take my backup to a friends house to watch it... it won't work if they have an expensive DVD player. After using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, isn't it no longer recognizable as a "backup" and really equivilant to having encoded and burned a DVD from scratch (like from some home made video files or whatever)? Would a home made DVD have the same problems (it will play in my CyberHome but not on my more expensive DVD player that claims to play DVD-R) ?

Thanks

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

maniac333,
    I would say it is not the format of the disk why they don't play in your player, but the brand of disk.. The better quality media will usually play in everything. Look at getting better brands of media like FujiFilm if you have to buy in the store or Taiyo Yudens would be the best bet online..

19. maniac333

maniac333 Member

I am using Sony brand DVD-R discs. Shouldn't that be good quality? I will try others. Thanks.

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes sony is normally a good brand, but thats not what I meant.. I just mean some players only like certain brand DVD's it may be yours like the FujiFilm better..

Here is a link to a sight were you can find out what is best for your player http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Good luck :)