1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing and Editing "MPEG-2" movies taken by a DVD Camcorder in Pinacle Studio 9

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by pzamani, Jun 19, 2007.

1. pzamani

pzamani Member

Although I have installed the decoder codecs of MPEG-2 files, and I have my own reg. code for Pinacle Studio, but still it can not play and edit MPEG-2 files (The player doesn't play the movie) .... Who can help me?

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

What are you trying to watch. PS isnt for viewing DVD's. It is a capture and edit tool for minidvs I do believe. What camcorder are you using?

3. pzamani

pzamani Member

I don't want to view my movies. I want in fact to to edit them. I have taken these movies by SONY DVD-775 recorder. I want to mix and edit movies in Pinacle and make a new movie with sound and video effect. But in the "Preview" player, I can't see them. even it can not make the movie (cannot compile it)

4. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

I do not believe you can use PS9 for editing movies made with a DVD camcorder.

5. dhaxxx

dhaxxx Guest

i have the Sony DCR-S40 HDD camcorder that records mpeg2 but when I tried to burn it in a dvd+r and then watching it in my philips divx dvp5140, all I see are clips being shown not in a normal way.. doe is has something to do with frames per second? how can I work on this? is there a certain software that I can use to solve this?

I appreciate the help...

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

@dhaxx: don't steal someone's thread when you have an entirely different question, but start a new one.
    But nevertheless, to answer you question. You're not just burning the file to a DVD are you? You should use a DVD authoring program to create a DVD from your files.

@pzamania: there are still many editing programs that can't edit MPEG files. Anyway, MPEG is not a very suitable format for editing. Best thing to to is to convert the video. Here's a tutorial that shows you how to do it with freeware tools only: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/dvdedit.php

7. pzamani

pzamani Member

Dear TPFKAS, Thank you so much! You really solved my problem. It was a nice tutorial. Now I can easily mix and edit my videos. God bless you man.

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
    If you want to put the video on DVD after editing, make sure you use a good encoder. Good luck.

9. pzamani

pzamani Member

Will you please introduce me a good encoder? Where can I find and download it?

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

A couple of good ones are TMPGEnc, Canopus Procoder Express and Mainconcept MPEG Encoder. I think TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 is most reasonably priced at $37, but disadvantage is that it has periodical internet validation, so you need an internet connection to use it.

11. pzamani

pzamani Member

Dear Friend,

I used VirtualDUB-MPEG2 considering your suggestion. But the converted movie has not a desired quality specially when the movement speed of camera or the speed of the object in the movie is high. I tried different formats of conversion with different codecs and compression, but this problem still exists. How can I solve it?

12. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

This is not the quality of the movie itself, but the fact that DV-AVI is not the best format to play on your computer. The format is only good for playing from tpae and for editing. One you have done the editing and saved it as a DV-AVI file, the next step is to convert to the format you want depending on the final medium you want to play it on. For DVD it is MPEG-2, for PC playback best is either .wmv or a format like DivX.