1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing backup w/o modchip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tbryant6, Apr 23, 2005.

1. tbryant6

tbryant6 Member

How can I use a copy of a game on a friends ps2 without a modchip?

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Swap Magic.

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned. PS2 games use the Burst Cutting Area (BCA) of the disc to identify themselves to the PS2 unit. The BCA is not part of a disc that you can burn on, it is only replicated on pressed discs.

So, the only way to play backups is to get boot-discs or a mod-chip.

GET SWAP MAGIC DISKS HERE www.swapmagic3.com <---BOOT-DISCS

This program will copy 95% of all ps2 games with no problems

DVD Decrypter
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror=0&software_id=298

Use Quality Media I use
    Verbatim dvd+r

***** BURN AT NO MORE THAN 2X****** <-----------(IMPORTANT)
    TURN OFF ANY BACKGROUND APPLICATIONS

1. Take the ps2 game put it in the dvd rom or dvd burner, your choice.

2. open the dvd decryptor program then go to to tool bar and hit MODE>ISO>READ. Then choose the correct dvd drive that the game is in as the "source". Also choose where you want the files to be stored on the pc hdd. THEN CLICK DECRYPT , or the huge graphical picture at the bottom of the program which makes it run. The game is now copying to your HDD. Take the game out when finished (it might take a while).

3. Go to the same tab in dvd decryptor and choose MODE>ISO>WRITE. This will then let you look for the files you just created in step 2. Select the file that you just created. (There is only 2 files creadted so pick the .mds) (The smaller file)Then click WRITE, make sure there is blank DVD in the drive.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  4. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

I ok I realize that you can play back up copy of games on your PS2 if you have swap magic but don't you also have to have the slide card as well to use this feature? IF not how else can you open your disk tray without pressing the eject button? I actually aksed this question on my own thread but I really didn't get any replies. I even asked if you could burn swap magic and your backup copy game on the same disk so you wouldn't have to use the slide card to open your disk tray. I just thought that this way you could have both the software for swap magic and the game itself load and just go from there. Is that even possible?

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

novicebb that cannot be done as Jizmak said "PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned" but that would have been cool if you could have had SM on the same dvd but it will never happen. As for using SM yes you need ether a slide tool or a fliptop.