1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing backups and imports

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by kappakai, Mar 5, 2007.

1. kappakai

kappakai Member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know... I just bought a Wii here in Shanghai. It's an American version (says for sale only in US, Canada, Mexico and Latin America.)

Apparently, it's chipped. I checked a few stores, and most said that they were getting new chips in a few days. However, one store I went to said they had them, and I could get a Wii that played both imports and Wii backups. They also had games. They said I should have gotten the Japanese one, cause it was cheaper, but I got the American one with what they call "jing pian", maybe Chinese for chip, who knows.

Anyway, I just brought it home and tested it.

-English menus
    -Played a backup copy of Wii sports I had laying around.
    -Played a backup copy of Japanese Bleach I had laying around.

Apparently, it works, and quite well.

Now, I won't profess to know the exact mechanisms, and my limited technical Chinese didn't allow me to gather much information on how my Wii was modified. I guess I could open it up and poke around, but then, I'm not really sure how to open up a Wii. I've opened PS's and PS 2's and Dreamcasts, but this is my first console since about.... 2001.

Anyway, just thought you would all like to know that there is a modification available out there that plays import and backup Wii (not GameCube) games.

Oh, the store I went to also sells games for $2.50. Sometimes I really love living in China.

2. kappakai

kappakai Member

having found wiikey.cn, i think i got a wiikey.

as far as i can tell, it works great. i'll need to confirm with the lady that sold me the wii, and will have to mess around with it more, but so far, it's booted all three backups i threw at it, as well as import backups, on my us wii.