1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Blue-Ray on regular DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by MultiCopr, Nov 25, 2007.

1. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

lmao, no way, I have to agree with you guys as well.

2. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Let me clarify -

The vending machine TBaGZ mentioned was not related to Blockbuster. I made a comment that I was surprised a vending machine vendor would stock Blu-Ray movies, since not even Blockbuster rents them at all of their stores. It is expensive inventory and risky since the format war is still in play.

But I did guess in one of my posts that it could be a DVD in a Blu-Ray box.

The real questions are:

1) does the consumer see the box before he pays for the DVD?
    2) does the machine indicate the movie is Blu-Ray?
    3) does the machine charge extra for Blu-Ray?

If not, then maybe no harm, no foul. Except that it could cause some confusion.

Boy has this thread gotten off topic!!

3. MultiCopr

MultiCopr Regular member

Ya its off topic but still interesting....lol My blockbuster and hollywood video do not rent out BR or HD dvd's. The online blockbuster and netflix have them though.

4. TBaGZ

TBaGZ Member

First of all if ya read all my posts I said "I know nothing about the format other then it exists" which means I wouldn't know if the discs look different or not.

The machine is in there loby at work so I have no idea if you get to see the case before hand or not or how much it cost or whatever. All I knew for fact is that she was watching a movie and i saw the case on the table that had the blu ray logo and was a thin case compared to a full size dvd case. So she asked what the deal was when she went in the other day and they stated that they were using the cases because they were smaller and could fit more inventory in the machine.

5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Blockbuster has decided to only rent Blu-Ray (not HD-DVD). Online they rent SD and BD, some retail stores cary BD, but not many. Even the stores that rent Blu-Ray have very few copies of each movie.

Netflix rents all three DVD formats - DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD.

I stopped renting at Hollywood Video long ago. They are the kings of late fees. Pure profit for them and very painful for me.

6. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

TBaGZ:

Well as long as they make that obvious to customers, that their actually DVD's then that would be alright, just sounds weird that they would do something like that, people, like yourself for example (no offense) could get confused.

Btw, it's not about knowing if they look different or not, it's not like you have to scan it under an Electron Microscope to see the difference, it will clearly say either DVD or Blu-Ray on it.

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I would say that anyone not familiar with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD would not have any clue why the disc said Blu-Ray on the label. That's like SuperBit DVDs that were out for a while - lot's of people would have no clue what that meant if they saw it on the label. Basically, at first glance, a DVD looks like a DVD - round, silver, hole in the middle, same size and thickness, and a label on the top.

8. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Yeah and the words DVD Video or Blu-Ray printed on the label...
    It's common sense.
    If a disc didn't say DVD Video on it or on the cover then what are you going to assume it to be? A misprint? lol

9. LRLinnell

LRLinnell Member

I have a similar need to convert Blue Ray to DVD as follows:
    I have a HD theater with a blue ray player and buy blue ray HD movies. My son wants to watch these same movies in the car where all we have is a DVD. I dont want to buy all the movies again is the "old" format so I would like to rip/burn my "theater" copies to standard DVD for playing in a portable player in the car.

10. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Yeah, I think that all HD or BD movies should have the hi-def on one side and standard-def on other side. Like the HD-DVD combo discs. I can't imagine why is costs so much more, but it does.

I have a Blu-Ray and HD player, but I have almost 15 DVD players that can't play these new movies. I'd like an SD version of all of these so they can be played in other rooms, on my PCs, and in my car.

No one is in this business to make the consumer happy - it is all about money. If we end up benefiting from something they do, it was just an added bonus for them.

11. totomomo

totomomo Member

duds, every movie comes in both formats Blue-ray for HD and DVD-Video for SD and it doesn't have to be or it doesn't need to be on a single two sided disc who buys it? why are you asking for something that doesn't make any fu-bip-ing sense, SD on blue-ray ?????? come on !!!

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

totomomo - I am not sure I completely understand your comment. It is either gammar issues, or not a thorough knowledge of the formats themselves. Maybe I'm just too tired to get it.

HD-DVDs do come with HD on one side and SD on the other (if it is a combo disc). Currently Blu-Ray does not offer that feature.

If I buy a Blu-Ray (not Blue-Ray as you stated), I would like to play that movie in all of my DVD players. Use the Blu-Ray side in my BD player, and the SD side in my standard players.

The same for my HD-DVDs. I would like all the HD-DVDs to be combo discs (if they didn't cost more).

Maybe you're suggesting that we should buy a hi-def DVD and a standard DVD for each movie we want to watch in more than one room.

13. Speedy2

Speedy2 Guest

My Blockbuster has both HD and Blu-ray for rental. So it could actually be the case but as the poster stated he didn't rent from Blockbuster.

14. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It can be done...

I know how but first thing's first... Do you have a Blu-ray drive for your PC?

15. LRLinnell

LRLinnell Member

Yes, I have a blu-ray for my PC and one in the theater. Trying to make a SD-DVD for the car from a blu-ray version. The other option is I have to buy two versions of every movie- one for the theater and one for the car.

16. totomomo

totomomo Member

Do you have any idea how much time are you gonna waste to downconvert a blu-ray movie in m2ts format to a standard DVD format? at least 3hrs, besides I havn't heared of any software that can deffeat the BD copy protection, why don't you just rent the DVD or buy it from ebay for arround $5, good luck anyway.

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

AnyDVD HD can rip blu-ray/HD-DVD movies. As can various other tools... You just need to know where to find them. ;-)

18. housonsne

housonsne Guest

Try here:
    SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Was that post for me or totomomo? My post meant you need to know where to look for the other applications. If you're going to post a link, why not link to AnyDVD-HD on the Slysoft website? They are the creators of this software. :-D

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

By the way totomomo, ripping a blu-ray movie and converting it to DVD (mpeg2) in 3 hours is extremely quick. If you did do it in that time I would guess that the quality would be quite low. I would say at least around the 12 hour mark for high quality recompression.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Gotta catch up on the news...like previously stated, AnyDVD HD will decrypt/rip HD_DVD/Blu-Ray. DVDFab HD Decrypter (free), will do that also... both programs have been able to do that for some time now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008