1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing bootlegs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bbaop, Aug 19, 2007.

1. bbaop

bbaop Member

i just got back from china where i bought some bootleg ps2 games. the guy who sold me the games sold a cd which im supposed to put in first and then the bootleg. i tried it and all the ps2 says its disc error. is there any way i can play bootlegs without modding the ps2? sorry, im a newb.

2. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

You have to use a mod chip, like swap magic, or you could use a hard drive with a program like hdloader.

3. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

i think someone needs schooling on terminology o_o
    They're called backups, not bootlegs (aren't those vinyl?) You use a modchip (like a DSM4) or swap magic disc to boot the backup. Tokijin has afterdawn.com guide that will show you the steps. Or Google on those words and you will find an answer. Good luck.

4. bbaop

bbaop Member

Sorry. I'm not sure. My cds look like regular cds. They're not black on the bottom like regular PS2 cds. And so there is no possible way to play them unless I mod my system?

5. lanepwnu

lanepwnu Regular member

ps2 games arent black on the bottom. psx discs are tho. what did the disc that your supposed to put in first look like. some pics or a good description could help here

6. bbaop

bbaop Member

The disc they gave me looks like this. and the guy said you just put it in before you use the games.

[​IMG]

The bottoms of my discs are like this
    [​IMG]

7. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

you need one of these to use your "bootlegged" discs LOL
    [​IMG]
    note: the PAL version is if you LIVE in pal territory. NTSC if you live in U.S., Japan or other where tv signal is NTSC.
    oh yeaaahh one more thing...to play games you need correct version of magic tools (fat ps2=slidecard, slim ps2=magic keys, 3 parts). I will let you Google on those for the answer.

8. mtard

mtard Member

what kind of playstation do you have? a fat opne or a skinny one? because you have to get a different kind of swap magic for your ps2.

9. bbaop

bbaop Member

Thanks. I got the fat one

10. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

That disk pictured is kinda like a swap magic clone, so u will need just the tool, the black piece in the pict xhardc0re posted. But if u bought it from china, n your ps2 is in us, the disk would not work unless it is made for us. Depending on the region codes.
    In asia they made clones of alot of disks. I remember buying games without cases, n they were in thin plastic sleves then the cover paper wrap around it, n they had a really bad print job on the top of the disk, n the back were silver, n they boot off without any swap magic or modchip, cause those games were acually illegally manufatured and pressed in a factory...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  11. mtard

mtard Member

12. Valedion

Valedion Regular member

"bootleg" its a popular term african americans use

13. mtard

mtard Member

-_- fyi..... i am black

14. Valedion

Valedion Regular member