1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing burned discs bad for ps2 laser?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bignick15, Oct 28, 2003.

1. bignick15

bignick15 Member

its common knowledge that playing burned discs is bad for the ps2... but i heard that most people are lucky to get a good year out of their laser if they play burned discs. I have a v1 ps2 that i've had for 3 years already so i'm a bit worried about this. Has anyone had their laser get messed up because of this, and if so is it easy to replace? also, do the dvd laser lense cleaning kits help out much? thanks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  2. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up your... I'm calling bs on that, I've had my PS2 for over a year and I play burnt dvd's on there all the time (+/- and R/W's) (same with my X-box). I even use the crappiest media I can think of (that's readily availble) CompUSA DVD+/-R disc, but hey they're very cheap.

If you call Sony like I did many many moons ago, they'll tell you a fat juicy lie and say that the PS2 only plays commerical disc.

and to that I say LYING A$$ MoFo's.

But I guess they have to try and push their products on the unsuspecting consumer somehow.

If that still doesn't ease your nerve, next time buy an extended warranty (game systems fall under PC at most stores) from BestBuy, they'll swap them out right there no q's asked. Don't do it through Circuit City thought, they ship yours off. This is another good reason to do it, say you mod your system and FUBAR it, do you want to be stuck or would you rather just get a new one and play again?

I know for I speak from experience and playing within the rules of the system.

3. WEStar

WEStar Active member

There's some truth to that seeing how the reflection percentage of burned discs isn't as good as stamped discs and it makes the laser work a little harder to read the discs but, it won't kill the ps2 in 1 year it'll last longer than that.

4. telo

telo Guest

My 2 cents on this matter...

Yes, cheap media that is too reflective can cause the laser [eye] to attempt more times to read the required date to run your games.

Just look under your DVD and CD-ROM originals... not much light reflected right? Guess why yet? I personally like Ritek DVD-R's... they color is a nice purple and you need a freaking flashlight about 5 inches away to make this disks shine man... they are [in my opinion] one of the best if not THE best media for PS2 purpuses [as long as you buy the ones with that nice semi-deep purple color].

Not to post any "merchant" links... but I buy my supplies from www.allmediaoutlet.com ... you can get any kind of CD-R's, DVD-R's and CD and DVD cases... hell you can even get a PIONEER +/- 4X DVD Writer for like $170.00 US dollars [that is cheap!]