1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing burned dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ejhoefli, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ejhoefli

ejhoefli Member

I have "backed up" a variety of "my" dvds.....anyways.....my question is some play fine on all of my dvd players and computer.....others play fine on some and not good on others.....and then some seem to only play on my computer.....if they play on my computer does that mean that they will play on regular dvd players, but only I guess "newer" ones? If so, what dvd players are most highly regarded to play burned dvds?

Thanks.

2. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well first of all we need to know how you are burning you dvd backups, what kind of media you are using?

Most DVD players work better with -R media than with +R media. I know all of mine do. There is a website to check your dvd players compatability with different types of media, but I don't have the URL with my right now. I can post it later but someone else probably will before I get a chance to.

Alot of people seem to start off using memorex media which is one of the worst brands out there. It may be cheap but its worthless if it doesnt work.

3. ejhoefli

ejhoefli Member

Thanks, if you could post that thread I would appreciate it.....

Yes, most of the first dvds are memorex, however the strange thing is that some of the memorex work fine, the others do not work on the dvd player. All of the burned dvds play on the computer....

If I were to take the dvds that are on memorex and then duplicate them using my dvd rom and dvd +/-RW onto a higher quality backup would they be fine, or would the "problems" continue and I would need to go back to the original, shrnink them and then burn them using decryptor onto the better media....catch what I am saying??

Also, they are all on R+ I believe....if you have that website I would appreciate it, thanks

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

heres your website:http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    would your dvds be alright to copy on a better grade of dvdr?...yes as long as you have no visible errors,they should be fine.
    The problems with bad media, may not show up right away, but could show up in time.
    taiyo yuden,verbatim,and ritek are good choices and can be found online cheap.