1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Chinese Bootleg Gamecube Discs

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by china_gc, Mar 24, 2005.

1. china_gc

china_gc Member

I just bought a couple of pirated gamecube discs off the street here in Shanghai today (zelda and mario kart). These seem to be a very new addition to the huge pirate market here, it's the first time I've ever seen pirated gc discs.

I never bought my GC to China (I live here), so I have no way of testing them. I tried to place one in my pc's dvd-drive, but windows complained about an incompatible file system (which is what happens if you put in a regular gc disc, I guess).

The place i bought them mentioned something about needing a chip. Are there any kind of modchips available that lets me play these bootlegs? (or even copies I can burn myself). Something with easy soldering would be a bonus.

There seems to be chips around, but I'm very confused as to which ones are real and which ones are bogus, and not to mention a reliable place to order one.

Oh, the discs were 35 RMB a disc, which is about 5 USD.

2. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Google 'Viper GC'

Are those games English Lang.?

3. china_gc

china_gc Member

Most the games they had had Japanese covers, but there were also quite I few with English covers. The two I bought were English, but of course I won't be able to verify which language is on the actual discs until I get them to boot on my GC. I'm sure a bigger selection of discs will appear on the market over the coming months...

So Viper GC is the chip to get? Could you direct me to a relable webshop for buying one? Will this allow me to run my own copies (mini-dvd-r) as well?

4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

5. sljusevi

sljusevi Guest

how do you fit a full size dvd in a gamecube

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Take the lid off

7. modman123

modman123 Member

is that the new zelda? where can i get copied import games in the us?

8. china_gc

china_gc Member

The Zelda disc is the four swords one.

I just read about using Action Replay and GCOS for booting bootleg/backup discs on the forum... I'm slightly confused though, will this allow me to boot my backup discs without installing a modchip first?

I'm assuming that I use the AR to get GCOS on to a memory card, then boot the AR disc, run the GCOS thing, and insert the backup disc... clarification anyone?

9. DixonButz

DixonButz Member

You need a BBA, or someone with one to get the memcard image on to the memcard. There are several memcard images with GCOS to be found on MaxConsole. You have to use a Nintendo memcard 59. Then, put the 59 in slot b. Any card in slot a.
    Boot the 'Cube with the AR disc. Select the game "Action Replay". A message says, "Open the lid". Then another message says, "Close the lid". Then the GCOS menu will appear. Select "Boot backup DVD". Another message says "Press a to start the swap process".
    You don't need a Viper. This is just as good.

10. china_gc

china_gc Member

Hmm, so I need a broadband adapter. I assume this means I'll have to get the Phantasy Star Online game as well?

I have this memory card:
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=52&products_id=2359&

Which is a memory card with a USB plug at the end. Any chance I can use this to get GCOS onto the memory card? I've just downloaded GCOS 1.4, which of the files in there goes on the memory card? (gcos_1.4.vgc, gcos_gci.cgi or gcos_pso.cgi).

Is the only way to make a dvd-mini copy of an original GC disc to use the BBA and PSO? Or can I just do disc copy in Nero or clonecd?

Sorry for being a newbie... thanks for all the help.

11. DixonButz

DixonButz Member

12. china_gc

china_gc Member

Seeing that I don't really need to rip games myself (I can just get iso files off the net and burn them on mini-dvds), the best solution seems to be to get the action replay and a sd-card adapter. Then use sdloader to prepare a sd-card and put GCOS on it and then boot mini-dvds.