1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing DVD off my HD?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Cotton808, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Cotton808

Cotton808 Member

Can I rip a DVD to my Hard Drive and play it directly from my HD? I want to take a bunch of my DVDs on the road with me but not the actual disks. Can I do this, and how.

-Drew

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hmmm very interesting question!!! I did before, im sure i could have just found a program that would play from the .ifo file but what i did was merged all the vob's together with Cm's dvtool!

3. Deznaj

Deznaj Regular member

Yes you can. Rip the .vobs to your HD and play them using a DVD player like PowerDVD. You just have to select the .vob files and you can play your movie!!!

Each DVD takes about 3 - 9 gigs though!!!

4. Cotton808

Cotton808 Member

What is a good program to rip with? Something free.

-Cotton

5. whompus

whompus Active member

smart ripper and dvd decrypter both are great and free. They are here in software section for download.

Most any dvd player software will now play dvd from hard drive. I prefer windvd myself but others also like powerdvd. If you got neither of these and don't want to spend cash on one then when you are in software area here at afterdawn go ahead and get ifoedit if don't got it already and just use the play dvd button on it to play them from folders also.

6. Ackbar6

Ackbar6 Guest

I just use DVD decrypter to rip the movie into an ISO file. I then use a program like Damein tools to load the ISO. The menus, bonuses, and everything appear just like it was an auctual movie. The downside? Disks are about 9 GB in size. If you have a terybyte like me, its not a problem, but its hard for laptop users.

7. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, Ackbar might have a freudian complex there ;)

Seriously though, just rip with SmartRipper and check the single vob box in settings, you will have one big file and it plays in Windows Media Player (well at least with me ;)

You could try compressing them if you must using DVD2ONE, which you could feasibly make 2GB DVDs with, just play with the settings there, but make sure you are ripping in file mode.

Paul.

8. Dela

if you rip the files to the hard drive and try to play them as they as, you might only get sound on the first vob, if that happens you'll have to merge them.

9. Beats

Beats Guest

What you need to do to play the dvd is open PowerDVD and click on the disk drive symbol.
    Then click "Open DVD file on hard drive" and select the IFO which is relevant to your DVD from the folder you put it in.

10. loaded

Dela : Which is why I said to tick the settings in SmartRipper to rip as a single vob.

This is go settings, Movie Tab, File Splitting, Max File Size (check) then increase filesize to over the size of DVD.

Paul.

11. Dela

lol, sorry paul, didnt read correctly :$

12. loaded

NP :)

Paul.