1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing DVDs on your PC

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Neill, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Neill

Neill Member

I don't have a dvd drive yet but would like to play my dvds on my computer, can someone tell me what to do and download plz.

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

Most PC DVD players sold now come with free software that allows you to play back DVD's [hence it's called a software decoder].

You just have to meet the minimum hardware requirements for DVD viewing. I find that my old 1998 PII 400 128mb system works just fine with a software decoder.

If you wish, you can purchase [usually seperately but sometimes in a bundle] a add in card that decodes for you [a hardware decoder]. A hardware decoder will take the decoder burden off of the CPU and allows you to do other things while you watch DVD's.

Personally I don't really think a hardware decoder is necessary unless you want to surf and watch DVD's simultaneously.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2002
  3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Dude, he don't even have a DVD drive, he will not be able to use software or hardware decoding unless he has an optical drive that can read DVD discs.

Neill, do yourself a favor and buy a DVD rom drive, they are not very expensive as you can see here:

http://www.pricewatch.com

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

You can't play dvds but you can play ripped dvds in vcd/svcd format.

If you get someone to rip a dvd to vcd for you, download WinDVD. Click the open button, open the cd drive, open the MPEGAV folder and play the file in it. That is the movie. Hope I could Help.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

But seriously, buy DVD-ROM drive and some good DVD software player such as WinDVD 4 or PowerDVD XP 4.0.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Oh of coarse i'd agree. Im just given an alternative until he gets one, thats all

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yep, I agree. But coughing up $50 to buy a drive shouldn't be too difficult task if you actually own a computer already :)