1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing DVDs

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by neonjoe14, May 2, 2011.

1. neonjoe14

neonjoe14 Member

hi, alright so i have just recently bought a black wii and got the homebrew channel loaded and everything. i heard wiimc can play dvds so i got this app and for some reason i still cant play dvds? i also have read that some newer wiis cant play dvds? can anyone help me with my situation?

What i need to know is if my wii is compatable with playing dvds.

my serial number starts with lu2089

2. xbox09

xbox09 Member

newer wii's can no longer read disc backups. as for dvds i heard you could but will burn out the wii's laser faster.

3. neonjoe14

neonjoe14 Member

Im talking about just regular dvds, like movies. But as i said before, i used wiimc and it says that its invalid or something? i just want to know why this is. do newer wiis not even allow playing movies? (dvd)

4. 12137

12137 Regular member

DVD Playback is not possible on Wiis with Newer Drives, if you can't play Wii Backup Discs, than you can't play regular DVDs. You can still use a USB Stick or an SD Card to play Media from the WiiMC Channel, though.

If your Wii does not have a newer DVD Drive, then all you need to do is install DVDx and a reliable DVD Playback Channel, such as WiiMc or MPlayer Channel. If your Homebrew Channel has a version equal to or higher than 1.0.7, then DVDx is not required for DVD Playback.

5. neonjoe14

neonjoe14 Member

Well ok shoot! I guess my drive doesnt work :p but thanks for the help anyways! Sorry for the confusion

6. Modking30

Modking30 Regular member

Which is better anyway ;) As stated above reading DVD's with your drive will kill your laser anyway.

7. hemant81

hemant81 Member

it will be able to, but you have to buy a little separate part for it...at least that is what I've heard.