1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing halo 2...dirty disk wtf help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by .:D3LL:., Oct 22, 2004.

1. .:D3LL:.

.:D3LL:. Member

Hey guys, i have halo 2 which i recieved from a friend by ftp. I sent halo 2 over 2 the xbox n tried playing it, one problem, it comes up with dirty disk error, wtf this is really pissin me of havent been able 2 find a solution to this i also tried copying it 2 a dvd but the xbox dunt recognise it. I am just wondering if any of you guys here have a solution for me thanx

P.S: BTW, i have pre-ordered halo 2 so i am still giving bungie and M$ credit :D

2. idknox

idknox Guest

Did you copy over the extracted folder or just the ISO? If you have the folder, try launching the xbe from File Explorer. If you ftp'd the iso, do this: Make sure the ISO is on your computer. It should be about 4.7 gigs or close to that. Find an Xbox ISO extractor (on xbins if you know where that is or under software at www.xbox-scene.com). Depending on the program you use, you're going to want to take the ISO and remove all the files from it into a new folder. The software you use should have instructions for it. Once you have all the files in one folder, copy that folder over to your xbox, under Games (it should have "bink" "map" and "media" folders, and some xbe's. Once that folder is in your Games directory on your box you should be able to run it fine. Hope all goes well.

3. .:D3LL:.

Hmm maybe thats why mien isnt working. :p. Ok wat i did was me n a friend used flash fxp 4 me 2 connect 2 his server we transfered the files ova, after u told me there is a map file. I went lookin @ the files i have that we transfered n there are no map files, so that might be the reason.

4. .:D3LL:.

Can you please list me all teh files you have thanx

5. Bravo568

Bravo568 Guest

6. idknox

idknox Guest

Ok, there will be a default.xbe, this one's the important one. there might also be a dashupdate.xbe and some other.xbe files, you don't need them. There will be a "bink" folder with three files, the intro.bik one is needed. there is a map folder with about 20+ map files. This is where the space is taken up cuz they are all 150-400 mb each. The ones with a number starting them are the campaign files, the ones without a number are multiplayer maps. There is also a fonts folder in the map folder, this is needed. And under the main directory there is a "Media" folder, im pretty sure this is for videos during campaign. The entire thing should be around 4.3-4.7 gigs big, so if its not close to this then you didn't actually get Halo 2.

7. masta2000

masta2000 Member

hey i also have this problem. It cannot seem to load the maps. I get to the loading screen for the campaing and it only goes half then stops and tells me theres this dirty disk error. I have tries loading it up with everysingle dashboard possible. I uploaded the dvd5 version onto the xbox which should supposedly work in one shot, but like said before cant get past the loading.
    please help

8. pkizzz

pkizzz Member

I just burn it out on a dvd-r (NOT +r) at 2x and it worked fine.

if have tryed it on dvd+r and it not work, try it on-r

9. mikeyk

mikeyk Member

worked on +r for me

10. shivedog

shivedog Member

How can you guys play it? It dosen't have the second map to the campain, and its in French.

11. idknox

idknox Guest

There are no map files that start with 02. they go right from 01 to 03. Campaign plays through fine. Also, audio in campaign is french, with english subtitles during cutscenes. Multiplayer and all onscreen text is english.

12. shivedog

shivedog Member

I've tried everything to get the second map to load. I even ftp another 03a and 03b over from another download and it won't work, any ideas?

13. idknox

idknox Guest

make sure they are the right files. 3a is 197 mb and 3b is 226 mb. Also make sure you have the 2 files called "shared.map" and "single_player_shared.map".

14. ccbbor

ccbbor Member

Hey, for those who know...how many multiplayer maps are on Halo 2? What are the names and how many are small, medium, large, etc...

And what about gametypes? how many...what are the new ones...

You can send a private message if you want.

15. klinkman

klinkman Member

Maybe i can help here. The post that said the fix to the dvd-9 iso to make it dvd-5, deletes the second map is absolutly correct. The easiest thing to do is extract the ISO directly to your Xbox HDD. There is a great program for ftp'ing into your box and extracting game iso's directly to it called qwix from team avalaunch. Get it here, http://www.teamavalaunch.com/qwix/Qwix101.rar . If you have the avalaunch bios on your xbox its even better as this tool has some cool game listing features. Of course you box need to be modded. Of course only use this for legal backups of your personally owned games. Good luck and have fun, the game is awesome, im almost done with it!

16. Darkfall

Darkfall Member

Hi, this don't fully relate to topic. Today I purchased Halo 2 (PAL)-Australia. I thought that it would have some NEW PROTECTION but NO - copies without hasle in dvd-2-xbox v6. I found it to be too large (4504mb) to fit onto a DVD5 so I found a solution. Delete the BINK folder - It is not needed at all. Now the game is only 4025mb and all you miss is the intro (micro$oft) while loading it tells you the %progress, and you will also lose the attract movie which is just a demo when game is idle (don't cry).
    - I love the covenant animations when they DIE -
    Peace dudes

17. arabfox

arabfox Member

where can I go about and get dvd 2 xbox? software not the source

18. arabfox

arabfox Member

i borrowed halo 2 from a friend, i used smart ftp to take the game off the D: of my xbox to my harddrive on my pc.
    I used gdfimage to make the iso as well as many other image programs. I burnt multiple copies of the different isos and nothing works. I run it on my xbox and it returns back to the evolultion screen, i then look for the default.xbe file run it and the same thing happens. on some of the rips i even get dirty disk error. how do i copy the dvd perfectly\? have done this in the past with no problems

19. Magri101

Magri101 Regular member

Yourall stupid it dosnt work on burnt games ( ITZ MICROSOFT) Bill Gates is smart enough to put sum Bar code or some shit like that so ppl wont Burn it

20. arabfox

arabfox Member

ok smart one, i copied halo one already, and bill gates isn't the man anymore btw