1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing ISO files

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dayspring, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Can any one help I want to play my DVD's on the computer every now and then they are stored in ISO format I have a 250Gb hard drive so space is not a problem, a free player would be ideal I have searched but nothing I use Power DVD can I get this to play them.

Regards
    Dayspring

2. mootube

mootube Member

I'd like to know the same thing. You can play them in DVD Shrink itself and this is what I currently do but it's not ideal as playback doesn't have many features.
    I've tried old and new versions of Power DVD and VLC with little or no success. I haven't yet tried Win DVD which is also supposed to play ISOs.

If anyone knows how to play them, please let it be known. Thanks.

Edit: I've also tried mounting them with Alchohol to play them but nothing seems to like this either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  3. wild77

wild77 Guest

Try using DVD Decrypter in the [bold]FILE[/bold]mode to put on your hard drive then you will be able to view them with Power DVD.I have not had any luck trying it with ISO files.Check out this guide for settings in Decrypter.http://www.dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Download Alcohol 120%. It installs a Virtual disc drive that allows you to mount/unmount a ISO image file without having the physical disc. Power DVD is able to read this "virtual" drive as a real drive even though it isn't really there. I do it all the time.

5. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Alcohol is great, I use it all the time. For more things than mounting .iso's. But once the trial runs out you could try using daemon tools. Since you said you were looking for a free player I think this would be more up your alley. But if you do more than just watch movies on the comp I recommend spending the money and purchasing alcohol.

6. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Weirdo007 (or any one)
    I have doneload and installed Alcohol 120 but am unable to load and play my ISO could you give me a walk through of how to do this. thanks for your advice.
    Dayspring

7. Veblin

Veblin Active member

8. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

When you open Alchy, look towards the bottom of the main screen. Should have all your disc drives listed in a little tree of sorts. There should be one called "AXV" or "AVX" Virtual Drive or something like that. Right click on that branch and you get a little menu with some options, two of which should be "Mount" and "Unmount" image. Click Mount then it will let you browse to where your ISO is. Mount it, and then just start Power DVD and play away! :)

Note: If, when you created your ISO, if it created a MDS file with it, mount the MDS file instead of the ISO itself. :)

9. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

If you have an ATI graphics card, the file player will play it.

10. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi dayspring,

Daemon Tools v3.47 let you mount an image file (.ISO .CUE etc.) as a virtual drive, just like Alcohol 120% will do.

Then use any DVD player on your virtual drive.

And yes, it's FREE !

11. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Thanks for all the help and mounting the ISO works great, I have used both Alcohol and Daemon, but now I have a proble I used Damemon to mount a ISO and it created a vertual drive on my computer but now I want to get rid of it from my machine until I need it next time can I do this and remount it when I need it. I have tried to unmount it but this just removed the movie I was waching.
    Any help here would be greatful.

Regrads
    Dayspring

12. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Just leave it on your HDD. It won't intrude or anything. The only thing that mounting and dismounting pertains to is the ISO image itself. Mounting simply means it readies the ISO to play. Same thing as when a standalone player "boots" a disc. Unmounting just removes the ISO off the drive so you can load another one. Same thing as if you changed movies or something. :)

13. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Thanks Weirdo007 for the repley, but my kids use the computer and are always using CD and it confuses their little brains (bless them) so Its eiser for me to remove it and mount it at will if I can
    Dayspring

14. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

If you want to disable the virtual drive from showing up, just run deamon and in the toolbar icon, right click and go to virtual cd/dvd-rom, Set number of devices, then Disable.
    That should do it for ya. Wow that's alot of comma's I wrote.

15. mootube

mootube Member

Thanks a lot fellas, I must have been doing something wrong when mountig the ISOs. It's good to know that they should play though, I'll try it until I succeed.

16. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Thank for all the help
    Regards
    Dayspring

17. MoonWa

MoonWa Guest

I just downloaded and tried the VLC media player. It will play iso files directly.

18. dayspring

dayspring Guest

MoonWa

Hi thanks for sharing but what is VLC, is it a free player and where can I download it from?

I have had a look at the software page on this site but cannot see it a link would be greatly appreciated.

Dayspring

19. MoonWa

MoonWa Guest

It's shareware i believe, but there is not time limit. VLC will play the iso file. With VLC you do not need a virtual drive or have to mount anything.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Alcohol 120% is pretty cool with the virtual dirve. I installed the trial version just to see how it works. Once the iso or mds file is loaded then any dvd player can play the file.