1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing MKV or other formats on Sony Bravia

Discussion in '3D TV' started by Barraka, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barraka

Barraka Member

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, so here's my first try.

I own a Sony Bravia, model: 46EX720.
    A lot of mkv files (and other formats) won't play.

My workaround up till now was to play it on my laptop & connect it via HDMI. Works fine.

Now, I sometimes want to work on my laptop while watching the movie. When wanting to watch a MKV file from a USB drive, the TV displays a "format not supported" message. So, I'm thinking the best solution is to buy a blu-ray player, and stick the USB drive into that.

What are your suggestions of good blu-ray players that will be able to do that, and be versatile in terms of formats.

Thanks,

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Panasonic has excellent Blu-ray playback, but with playing formats off USB, get a Sony. Blu-ray playback is also great, but it will play almost every file off of USB (except FLV,ISO).

What's your budget? If you have $120 to spend, get this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...ayer/7830129.p?id=1218861011781&skuId=7830129

The step down model is around $89 I think, but it's well worth the extra $30 for the "midrange" model. Plus $120 is pretty cheap for a Blu-ray player, especially considering the performance it gives.

If you want 3D check out this Panasonic, it's on sale too:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...p?id=1218538978112&skuId=4815357#tab=overview

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. Barraka

Barraka Member

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The model you show is exactly in my budget, but just to be clear (I want to be 100% sure), the USB drive's video files that didn't play on my Sony TV, will play correctly on that Sony Bluray Player? Initially I had thought that because it was the same make, I would have identical problems.

Thanks again,

5. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Usually TV's will support a lot fewer formats than an actual media player of the same brand, even if they are released on the same date.

This player will play; mkv, avi, mp4, wmv, mpg(or VOB), mov, and AVCHD v2.

I have a WD 1TB USB 3.0 Passport SE, formatted to NTFS, and it works great on my Sony BD player, which is even an older model.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.