1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing MPG files sends CPU usage to 100%

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Therock25, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Therock25

Therock25 Member

I am having trouble playing mpg files. I use Windows Media 10 and have also tried to use Quicktime. The CPU usage goes to 100% when I'm using Windows Media 10 and it hangs when I use Quicktime. It will eventually play using Windows Media but my system CPU usage stays at 99% even after the video is done. The other weird thing is that sometimes I can play these clips and have no problems. I've seen Explorer.exe at 99% via Taskmanager when I have these problems but that is not always the case. Just clicking on the properties can sometimes send my CPU usage to 100%. I have no problems playing any other media files. Specs-OS is Windows XP-SP2. 512 Sdram and AMD Athlon 64 processor. Thanks.

2. saharardb

saharardb Guest

do you have sufficient memory (ram and khz)

if you do it could be the amd processor.

amd seems to cause some problems now and then

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Right click on the taskbar and click Task Manager. In the Task Manager, click on the Performance tab. Look at the entries in the Commit Charge frame. The Peak entry gives you an indication of the maximum amount of memory used by your computer since the last time it was started. The optimum amount of RAM is equal to this value (assuming the computer has been running for a few days and you've run your typical programs during that time). See the Limit entry. This is the total of your RAM and pagefile. The limit should be at least twice the Peak value. If you can't buy more RAM, you can increase your pagefile size to increase the Limit value

4. Therock25

Therock25 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Still no luck. Thanks anyway.