1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing my Ipod in the car

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Atmos, May 11, 2007.

1. Atmos

Atmos Member

I know I should know more about this, but I've wanted for a long time to hook up my ipod to the stock stereo of my car with the least amount of hassle - and money. I am tired of using cds.

I have Itrip, but it's worthless in the city, so i am looking for a direct connection to my Honda Accord (2003). It has a 6 disc changer, NO Line out (unless its behind the dash board) and has NO cassette player.

So I'm wondering if anyone has advice or information on this (cost or methods, etc)

-Much obliged (you could make my traffic-infected life in Los Angeles, much more enjoyable...)

2. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Your best bet is to take out the deck in your car and see if there is an audio input in the back of it. If there isn't, then you will need to buy a deck that has one, or you can buy one of those headphone jack to cassette things, but if you don't have a cassette player that isn't an option. The only thing is that the sound quality isn't that great with that.

3. Atmos

Atmos Member

The sound quality isn't great with the cassette adapter you mean? Or with either audio input? I wonder if I can ask the dealership or someone else about the input without taking out the whole deck to find out...

4. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

The cassette has poor quality. The audio input should have great quality.

5. jchien

jchien Member

I don't know what anyone is talking about! Cassette players sound GREAT in my car. I live in the freakin' country and I have tried tons of FM transmitters, and they all sound like crap. I then reluctently tried a cassette converter and my mind was blown. It sounded so awesome, and I never would have believed it. In case you don't understand a cassette... in normal cassettes, a film runs through a magnet and is read in your player. In ones that have a 1/8 inch jack into it, there is no film, simply the magnet, so there is no corruption and it has CD quality ( I rip all my music at 320 kbps).

6. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

If cassettes sounded as good as a CD, then why did they make CDs? Believe me, the audio input way will sound MUCH better then a cassette if you can do it that way. But they are so cheap that you could get one just to try out.

7. jchien

jchien Member

Did you not just read my little spiel on the difference?!?!?!? The original cassette and the audio inputs are different and that difference is what makes the audio input cassettes better... If you don't get anything else about what I have said, know this - IT SOUNDS BETTER THAN FM TRANSMITTERS!!

8. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I hear what you are saying, and I know it sounds WAY better then the muffled FM transmitters. My point is, it will sound much better if he has an audio input on the back of his deck.

9. jchien

jchien Member

gotcha... I would like to learn to do that sometime, but I really don't have the patience or time and I am perfectly satisfied with my weapon of choice... :)

10. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

i work at a car dealership and have installed numerous stereos....i can tell you that 99% more than likely you DONT have an input on the back of your car. they didnt start doing this until the last year or 2 on factory stereos.

11. Atmos

Atmos Member

That's really a shame, I'll still check...You never know.

But I was also told that you can get an audio input installed in the dash/somewhere at car audio places...So I'm gonna find out how much that costs too?

12. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

They also have some really cool decks that allow you to use the iPod through the deck controls (i.e. change songs, cycle through songs, etc.).

13. Matt555

Matt555 Member

i have both, aux in, and a casette player, they sound the exact same... Doesn't make much sense, but no one has ever been able to tell the difference, and I also rip at 320 kb/s

14. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

It may be your deck, or your cord that you are using that makes it sound like the cassette.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007
  16. Ranita

Ranita Member

I just got a wire that hooks up to my after market radio. It just a wire that runs out of my dash, you can have the wire come out of the glove compartment also. I bought it from best buy. It was only like $50 plus installation, and i walked away paying under $100 plus it took like 1/2 hr.